Thread: Anxiety and periods

Anxiety and periods

Hi ladies,

I’m just after some advice on anxiety around your periods. I’ve noticed that I become increasingly anxious when I’m due on, starting around a week before. Does anyone have any tips on what they’ve found to help alleviate some anxiety around this time, if anyone else finds they get the same?

Thanks 😊 xx

Re: Anxiety and periods

Ohhhh yessssss, it is infact that only way I now know that a period is due. My periods are very erratic in timescale and my usual signs from the past are now missing, so there are no indicators apart from this mood change. The trouble is that I always forget at the time of the increased anxiety, which has no need to be occurring and isn't based in actual anxious feelings that I have - if that makes sense, that it is probably a hormonal change. The day before a period, without fail, I will have a few panic attacks, and there are literally no triggers. I find it hard to describe, but it is as if someone has injected me with something and makes my body react in certain anxious ways when I have no reason to actually be anxious. Kind of like Caffeine but not caffeine lol Hormonal anxiety is so so common, and it is good that you've establised the pattern. I don't know your age but if you are of reproductive years then things like the minipill and other hormone meds can help, or you can do what I (have to) do and just push on through knowing that very soon it will change and the period will end it. I didn't have this issue until my mid 40s, so yet again, I am wondering what age you are ? I can manage panic attacks and they don't hugely affect me, though the general background anxiety and tears are harder to comprehend and deal with, so if you have those methods to hand for panic attacks then there presence takes on not as much importance.

If you are young, then I would consider discussing with a GP (and possibly treating) a hormone imbalance, as the anxiety you describe is generally down to some sort of hormone (who knows which one ?) problem.

I’m early 40’s and noticed starting in my late 30’s an increase in anxiety around my period time. Totally normal. As we age our hormones do too, every month feels different than the last, for me anyway!!

Me too. I'm 42 and my periods have become an unending mystery to me.

This month I got all my old PMS signs and everything ran like clockwork, which is a source of bafflement in and of itself.

Thanks very much for your replies ☺️ I’m 28, so quite young (I think &#128518 and I’ve noticed it getting worse and more noticeable over the past six months I would say. Like you said, it’s sometimes the only reminder that my period is coming is when I start feeling really anxious.

I have pcos, and had numerous blood tests checking my hormones and an imbalance was never suggested but isn’t pcos itself some sort of imbalance? As I have the acne and excess hair so know something is out of whack xx

Thread Information