Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Going out of my mind. Is this really anxiety?

Re: Going out of my mind. Is this really anxiety?

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    How did a neck issue spark 6 months of stress? I'm confused on that one.

Also, life is tough and you're not sleeping. I'm beginning to see a pattern here, perhaps one you're not seeing. If stress can kill you, do you think it's powerful enough to make you feel like crap too?
    The neck injury was pretty bad did disc damage which then prompted referred arm pain which turned in to really bad tennis elbow in both arms so bad I've had to change to ergonomic mouse and keyboards at work, then someone went in to the back of me in my car which exacerbated all the injuries then I got a throat infection which lasted for 5 weeks meanwhile we had problems with pregnancy (all is fine now) so it just prompted a pretty stressful period.

I saw a different doctor today and she suggested it is all linked to anxiety but to keep my follow up appointment with my regular doctor next week. She suggested I start taking medication again, I was on mirtazapine for 4 weeks from mid December but didn't like the side effects so stopped taking them mid Jan but I'm considering taking a different type (she suggested SSRIs?). I really didn't want to take antidepressants but if these leg pains are because of my anxiety then I think I'm running out of options really. Any advice on types would be helpful if anyone has experience in this? I've seen Citalopram mentioned a few times on here.

Ok looking back at the previous posts you made in the now merged threads, it's probably a good idea for you to read what you've been writing again. You mentioned that this has been going on for so long, but seem to be missing the idea that as long as you are stressed, the issues will remain. You can't keep feeding the problem and expect it to go away. Your monitoring and worrying about (relatively) minor issues is causing more damage than the issues themselves. I know, because I used to do the same thing.

If I were to be blunt, you're whining about back ache (massively blunt and a little unfair), but I'm trying to deliver a point here. And that is that nothing is actually wrong aside from a little discomfort.

Antidepressants aren't going to make anything go away because the issue is your own cycle of worry about something that's not going to do you any harm. You mentioned a neck injury sparking 6 months of stress, does that sound rational to you?

Even your Doctor is telling you anxiety, so focus on that. Find a way to rationalise the pain/discomfort you are feeling (use mantra's, tell yourself over and over again that the discomfort HAS been explained to you) and focus only on dealing with your anxiety and thought patterns. There is no quick fix for this, it's about you unlearning the negative reactions you've learned (again, we've all done this or are still doing it).

Yeah I've read them and I know that over analysing every ache and twinge makes all the problems worse but yeah it's a habit thats hard to shake off but I am trying. The point is though it seems like there is an underlying stress and anxiety that I'm not even aware of sometimes that seems to be enabling a lot of this so it's getting help quietening that down.

Oh and I dont even care about the neck ache anymore ironically. Its flared up in the last week and i cant bend my right ear towards my right shoulder its that bad but I've learned how to cope with the neck pain (and arm pains). The legs is something new and something I am really struggling with physically at the minute - they just tire so easily that it's hard to accept its anxiety but I will be trusting the doctor on this one, but it's just getting help quietening that internal noise down as evidentally I'm not making a good go of it on my own.

When you become stressed and anxious, it can take a very long time to 'come down' again. Often months, assuming you're doing all the right things to recover. It's quite possibly that you're in a self sustaining loop of worry of anxiety, and anxiety of worry etc.

Stress could also be invisible. You could be over working, under sleeping, eating badly, smoking or drinking. All those things can have a cumulative effect on your overall stress levels and your ability to cope with anxiety and day to day life. People underestimate just how important diet and exercise are in mental wellbeing. But....too much exercise can be just as damaging.

It's a really good idea to try and stand back and have a think about what you can do to improve your overall health. It doesn't matter if it's physical or mental as you really can't separate the two.

As for internal noise, that's something else you can deal with too. Read up on mindfulness and meditation. These are not relaxation tools, they are exercises to help the brain switch off that mental noise over time. It's the subconscious noise that most often causes problems for people, and meditation allows you to become aware of that noise, without allowing it to cause problems in your conscious mind. It's extremely effective IF you practice it.

Yeah it's frustrating but pretty much everything you mention there I do or have done. I eat healthily, I exercise albeit more difficult with kids now and these leg pains have pretty much put a stop on exercise for now and i do mindfulness/meditation. I dont do it every day and know the benefits are only really found by regular practice but finding the time isnt easy. My biggest stressors are work which I'm seriously considering taking a career change but will have to accept less money and the other one is myself. Based on what you're saying it might take months for me to come down if I get a grip on it now

There's no 'might' about recovery times. It will take months, and accepting that isn't a bad thing.

If you know your job is the source of your stress, get out. If you think it's hard now, how bad do you think that level of stress is going to affect you when you're 40, 45, 50 etc.

It's good that you've already got a grip on many aspects of your health, and it shouldn't be too hard to make time for meditation. It's often cited that people don't have time to do it, but we're talking 10 minutes twice a day, that is more than enough for now. Meditation practice requires commitment and has to be done every day.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information