Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going out of my mind. Is this really anxiety?

Re: No idea what's going on. Restless legs?

Good luck Adam and I hope your symptoms dissipate soon.

Couldn't lift foot upon waking

Hi guys. Really need some help. I've been making conscious efforts not to post post or google anything to help with my HA. I started a book called Overcoming Health Anxiety and last night went to bed with a clearer head. I've been dealing with peculiar symptoms in my legs for weeks now. My veins bulge out, I get achey restless legs, they twitch, my muscle are chronically tight. I went doctors 2 weeks ago worried about MND and he said come back in 4 weeks but he didn't think it was a possibility. Anyway upon waking this morning I swear I could not lift my left foot up. I was terrified. It lasted for around 10-15 seconds but the ability to lift my foot up wasn't there. It woke me up so I'm not sure if it was a cramp that woke me up or what but I had just woke up so can't remember if there was any pain. Has anyone had this before? It proper scared me and I screamed out upon waking. I've had it when I slept on my arm and it went numb but never had this before with a foot. Seriously last night I went to sleep feeling good and as always with HA its one step forward and 2 back :(

Re: Couldn't lift foot upon waking

Honestly, this sounds like a variant of sleep paralysis to me.

I've had sleep paralysis before, used to get it quite often, but that was the whole body sensation when you're awake but not awake. Wasn't aware it could affect just one limb. I'm trying to think logical. If it was anything bad then it would be unlikely to be temporary I assume and it is 'okay' now (albeit all my leg muscles are chronically tight).

If you have chronic muscle tension it's easily possible to 'constrict' a nerve/bundle, especially if you sleep in an awkward position. I've woken up before with a dead leg and tried to walk, only for my leg to buckle underneath me. I have chronic muscle tension in my back and it makes it look like I'm drunk when I'm walking sometimes.

Thanks Joe. Like I said I've been trying to think logical. I could have slept with my legs crossed or something and my achilles area is feeling especially tight today. Fingers crossed it's a one off and doesn't happen again.

Going out of my mind. Is this really anxiety?

I know there's plenty of threads with the same title but I am really struggling to believe this is all anxiety / depression / stress related. My legs have been aching and progressively getting worse for over 2 months now to the point where I am struggling with things that used to be normal to me. I went for a walk in the park today to loosen up probably half an hour or so and my legs just felt so stiff as they have done for weeks it was a real battle. We are moving house at the minute so afterwards I was painting as I have been doing for the past few weeks and I literally struggle all the way through it, as I have been doing since I started the decorating. My leg muscles just have no stamina anymore. At rest my legs twitch so much everywhere, and sometimes in other parts of my body. My legs get incredibly restless usually after some form of intense exercise and my veins bulge out of my lower legs, this is much worse after I've had a hot bath. I am at my wits end with this now. I saw my doctor 3 weeks ago and he told me to book a follow up for 4 weeks but I dont think I can wait another week. I just really need some help and would appreciate if people who have been in a similar situation could offer some support and help. Obviously suffering with HA I fear the worst neurological diseases but without tempting fate this doesnt present itself in that particular way as my whole legs from my waste, and sometimes lower back, down to my toes ache on both sides. This isn't isolated to one extremity. I've considered if this is something more benign like CFS or Fibromyalgia but as a 32 year old male I dont think I fit the profile. I just want to get better both physically and mentally but I am really struggling. The last 6 months have been very stressful for me so I know it is feasible this is stress related but I really have difficulty believing it.

Re: Going out of my mind. Is this really anxiety?

All of that can be explained by stress/anxiety and is all very familiar to me. Muscle tension and twitching alone is putting your legs under constant tension. Imagine how you feel the day after a workout....and then imagine a much milder workout, but one that was lasting for 24 hours a day.

It could also be postural, or anything else 'mechanical'.

It might not be a bad idea to go and see an osteopath. If you find relief after a good kicking (and that's what they do lol) then you know it's a mechanical issue. At worst, they can often give good advice about the after effects of too much stress/tension.

Thanks Joe. I've been seeing a chiropractor (with mixed results) about an ongoing neck issue which originally sparked my 6 months of stress but have never considered an osteopath I will consider it. I understand the constant tension but I don't know how to stop it. It doesnt help that I don't sleep but I now have 2 kids under 2 so I'm not going to be sleeping any better any time soon. I very rarely have solid bowel movements anymore either which I'm pretty sure contributes but again no matter what I do or don't eat this doesn't change. Life is tough at the moment.

How did a neck issue spark 6 months of stress? I'm confused on that one.

Also, life is tough and you're not sleeping. I'm beginning to see a pattern here, perhaps one you're not seeing. If stress can kill you, do you think it's powerful enough to make you feel like crap too?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information