Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Worried about lymphoma

Re: Worried about lymphoma

Quote Originally Posted by glassgirlw View Post
    This is a most concerning statement in my mind, give your past history with HA. You’re not closing in on one diagnosis. Maybe your HA brain is, but there are a PLETHORA of possible causes for reactive nodes. Some of them are totally benign and not worth worrying over.

you know that paid reassurance is not going to help you in this situation. It didn’t help you before. You need to dig deep and figure out what you can do to put this worry out of your mind for the next two weeks. Working, volunteering, hobbies, visiting friends, whatever you need to do. Don’t let yourself dwell on this. When your mind starts wandering back around to the nodes, and the instinct pops up to poke and prod and determine if they’re growing or shrinking, you need to actively make the effort to turn your attention elsewhere. Unfortunately you are the only one that can control your reactions. How do you want to spend the next two weeks? It’s all up to you.
    I do agree that there are many causes of enlarged nodes, but for them to continue to get bigger over a three week period (probably longer) with no symptoms of infection... that seems to point in one direction to me.

My mum has come over and we're playing a PS4 game called Arise now which is nice. And I'm reading a fantasy book she brought. At 5 I'm going to the hospice to volunteer.

Quick question... are both of the pictures you posted pictures of you?

Quote Originally Posted by NancyW View Post
    Quick question... are both of the pictures you posted pictures of you?
    The two photos of the lumps? Yes, of course, they're both me!

Quote Originally Posted by O_O View Post
    The two photos of the lumps? Yes, of course, they're both me!
    Thank you. HA most definitely muddies the waters, but you've got something going on for them to react. Hopefully it resolves on it's own but, to me, I'd think antibiotics would be the first course of treatment, just not sure why the delay.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyW View Post
    Thank you. HA most definitely muddies the waters, but you've got something going on for them to react. Hopefully it resolves on it's own but, to me, I'd think antibiotics would be the first course of treatment, just not sure why the delay.
    Yeah, I said to my doctor that shouldn't I have antibiotics if she didn't suspect lymphoma? But she just said no, we'll give it a week, and then I'll have an urgent referral to ENT if no improvement (and I think we can all safely say that those things aren't going anywhere in the next week). I'm not feeling great about the wait. I think I should just be referred now.

I have no symptoms of infection which I suppose is why she didn't prescribe antibiotics. I don't know what she thinks IS going on, though! She just vaguely said "they're reacting to something".

The submandibular one seems very round, like a big marble. The other one started off sort of like an almond but now that's becoming more round too. I don't really know what that means.

The submandibular one seems very round, like a big marble. The other one started off sort of like an almond but now that's becoming more round too. I don't really know what that means.
    Of course you don't because you're not medically trained but please don't torment yourself by doing your own Dr Google research? I know you will though..

Does it help you to have people giving their opinion on here? you appear to have made your own mind up anyway as to your diagnosis so wouldn't you just prefer to have some help re managing your anxiety in the days ahead as you try to cope with the uncertainty?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Of course you don't because you're not medically trained but please don't torment yourself by doing your own Dr Google research? I know you will though..

Does it help you to have people giving their opinion on here? you appear to have made your own mind up anyway as to your diagnosis so wouldn't you just prefer to have some help re managing your anxiety in the days ahead as you try to cope with the uncertainty?
    I am very happy to receive people's opinions, and also advice on managing the anxiety. It's really nice to have input on anything really, as I feel quite lonely.

Although I do have anxiety about this, I think I'm doing ok. I'm actually not googling that much, and I only touch the lumps once first thing in the morning. I'm a little distracted but I think still doing fine at work. I have isolated myself a bit socially though.

I just got back from volunteering at the hospice, and I tried to think that even if I have lymphoma I am still able bodied at the moment, and I am capable of helping these people who are at the very end of their lives, and helping their family members who are so sad and anxious. So I tried to stop thinking about myself and focus on these people who needed my help.
    Last edited by O_O; 22-02-20 at 23:41.

I am very happy to receive people's opinions, and also advice managing the anxiety. It's really nice to have input on anything really, as I feel quite lonely.

Although I do have anxiety about this, I think I'm doing ok. I'm actually not googling that much, and I only touch the lumps once first thing in the morning. I'm a little distracted but I think still doing fine at work. I have isolated myself a bit socially though.

I just got back from volunteering at the hospice, and I tried to think that even if I have lymphoma I am still able bodied at the moment, and I am capable of helping these people who are at the very end of their lives, and helping their family members who are so sad and anxious. So I tried to stop thinking about myself and focus on these people who needed my help.
    I think that sounds wonderful. Very proud of you for the volunteering!!

I think it's very helpful if you can concentrate on others who really need you when there is the temptation to immerse yourself in your own angst and fears..so long as you are not mentally preparing yourself for your own demise in the same hospice...

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread Information