Thread: Coming off Effexor

Coming off Effexor

Hi folk

If Ian panic is still in town, this one's for yous my man, or any other folk what come off Effexor sucessfuly.

I want to stop completely, not because I want to but coz I got no money.

I come down from 187.5 to just 75 and stable on it. What I wanna ask is

- is it ok to go down to 37.5

or is this the right time to switch to another AD? I know fluoxetine is the usual gig but I got a shitload of cymbalta left over from 18 months ago.

Any positive thoughts much appreciated

No offense but don't wanna hear from folk what tried to reduce but failed

thanks

Re: Coming off Effexor

I've just come off venlafaxine. I'm really sensitive to it so I reduced it quite slowly, probably slower than most people. I went right down to a quarter of 37.5 for a week and then stopped. I had mild head shocks for a couple of weeks but they've stopped now. I'm still on other meds but no other ADs, so I'm not sure if they helped or not with withdrawal. Coming off it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but I do think it's worth talking to your doctor to come up with a plan for tapering off, and whether you should start another AD. Maybe there is something cheaper you could take that would help. Hopefully PDU will also have some advice.

Hi Swanny

Thanks for your reply.

That's actually real encouraging, just what I needed to hear.

Charlie

You're welcome I was quite scared about coming off it after years of taking it, but it was really not bad at all. Fingers crossed you can find something else that helps, as it's a pity to have to stop it for financial reasons. Good luck x

Quote Originally Posted by lebonvin View Post
    I want to stop completely, not because I want to but coz I got no money.
    There are assistance programs which make meds available at reduced, or no cost. NeedyMeds is a good starting point and Pfizer also have their RxPathways program to help folk remain on their meds.

I come down from 187.5 to just 75 and stable on it. What I wanna ask is

- is it ok to go down to 37.5
    You really need to discuss this with a doctor as venlafaxine can be the hardest AD to quit and you probably won't be able to do it on your own. But, yes, you could drop down to 37.5mg, but there will be a reaction and it will likely come quickly. Do you have immediate, or slow-release pills?

or is this the right time to switch to another AD? I know fluoxetine is the usual gig but I got a shitload of cymbalta left over from 18 months ago.
    You could try cross-tapering to Cymbalta (duloxetine), but it is a true SNRI so you'll likely be hit with some initial side-effects and some find it a difficult drug at the beginning. The other issue is will you be able to afford to stay on it? If not, you could suffer during the transition and again once your supply dwindles.

Switching to fluoxetine and then weaning off it may be the kinder option, though there remains the question of how you will deal with a return of the disorders you're taking the meds for. Getting venlafaxine through one of the assistance programs looks like the best of the available options Charlie.

PS: I have a full day of driving tomorrow, over 500 miles plus a range of appointments, so will be awol until Friday AU time.

Thanks Ian

I got XR so I guess that's slow release coz take in morning

I never heard of them programs. I'll check them out. Much appreciated

Charlie

Thread Information