Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High cancer risk worries

Re: High cancer risk worries

You bring up good points anxietyjoe
    ..I'm not sure why I ignore that side of it. I guess I assume at 42 for all the prior years of poor habits it might be too late (loads of wine, etc.) I suppose its possible that having a span of rough years I have primed mysel with catastrophic thinking rather than assuming things can be okay.

It's the strange symptoms and then subsequent tests that send me into a tailspin. In the back of my mind, despite knowing odds are low I automatically think that 'this' will be the time something happens.

So the thing to do now is practice the opposite of negative thinking. You now need to spend time unlearning those negative assumptions and start telling yourself you are creating good health habits for a healthy future.

You would accept that changing your diet and lifestyle for the better would take time to reap rewards right? So accept that it's going to take time to change the negative assumptions and thought patterns too. But, every time you sense a negative thought, intercept it and tell yourself that right now you know you're fine and are doing all the right things to stay fine. Just repeat it over and over again for months if necessary.

Sorry but I have to jump in here and say stop beating yourself up about your past habits! I was diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast cancer and was treated for it seven years ago at 36. I have no family history of it. BRCA test was also negative. In fact most people who get it don’t have a family history. Most BC is not hereditary despite what a lot of folks think. Anyway, I ate a very healthy diet, exercised regularly, never touched a drop of alcohol, never had a drug or even one cigarette. My point is cancer doesn’t discriminate. It’s a crapshoot as to whether anyone gets it or not! I don’t mean to scare anyone but it’s just how it is. Eating a healthy diet and exercising, limiting alcohol, etc. is important because it’s good for your overall health, but, do not think that it is what it takes to prevent cancer. I hate that some people think this way and I’m not the only one. It makes those of us who have battled the disease feel like it was something we did that caused it. I was in a support group for young women diagnosed with breast cancer and I can tell you that 95% of us in there ate well, didn’t booze it up, exercised, etc., yet we got it. Now with that said I’m not saying to eat whatever you want and be a couch potato all the time, but after going through what I did you can bet your ass that I enjoy junk food from time to time and have a lazy day whenever I feel like it. I still eat well, hit the gym and do weight training four times a week, but it’s also important to enjoy some things you like, like a donut or some wine if you want it. Sorry for going off on a rant but stop worrying about the past and throw the statistics out and relax!

Quote Originally Posted by StephA View Post
    Sorry but I have to jump in here and say stop beating yourself up about your past habits! I was diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast cancer and was treated for it seven years ago at 36. I have no family history of it. BRCA test was also negative. In fact most people who get it don’t have a family history. Most BC is not hereditary despite what a lot of folks think. Anyway, I ate a very healthy diet, exercised regularly, never touched a drop of alcohol, never had a drug or even one cigarette. My point is cancer doesn’t discriminate. It’s a crapshoot as to whether anyone gets it or not! I don’t mean to scare anyone but it’s just how it is. Eating a healthy diet and exercising, limiting alcohol, etc. is important because it’s good for your overall health, but, do not think that it is what it takes to prevent cancer. I hate that some people think this way and I’m not the only one. It makes those of us who have battled the disease feel like it was something we did that caused it. I was in a support group for young women diagnosed with breast cancer and I can tell you that 95% of us in there ate well, didn’t booze it up, exercised, etc., yet we got it. Now with that said I’m not saying to eat whatever you want and be a couch potato all the time, but after going through what I did you can bet your ass that I enjoy junk food from time to time and have a lazy day whenever I feel like it. I still eat well, hit the gym and do weight training four times a week, but it’s also important to enjoy some things you like, like a donut or some wine if you want it. Sorry for going off on a rant but stop worrying about the past and throw the statistics out and relax!
    Thank you for your positive life affirming post StephA...it really puts things into perspective

The evidence that diet and lifestyle support your immune system, which in turn allows your body to fight cancer (of all kinds) is completely overwhelming. Your own experience aside, telling people that diet makes no difference is extremely shortsighted. Nobody is saying never enjoy yourself, and you still preach (rightly so) a healthy diet and lifestyle.

Most research into cancer is now focusing on boosting the bodies own immune system (most of which is in the gut) so that it can fight cancer itself. This information I got first hand from a friend who works in cancer research.

It's also possible (and I mean this without a hint of patronising at all) that what you think is a healthy diet, might not actually be a healthy diet. What we have been told the last 20-30 years is really not very good advice. Perhaps this is a topic for another time, but I think it matters.

StephA, I've read many of your posts in response to fears here helping others. Despite my fears leaning towards my perceived risks, I've read plenty that says exactly as you've described with it all being up to chance in many ways.
    I'm very glad to hear you are healthy now and I'm sorry if I've offended you.

My worries are intertwined with guilt that I could have taken better care of myself.

I've forgotten how to properly relax in the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    The evidence that diet and lifestyle support your immune system, which in turn allows your body to fight cancer (of all kinds) is completely overwhelming. Your own experience aside, telling people that diet makes no difference is extremely shortsighted. Nobody is saying never enjoy yourself, and you still preach (rightly so) a healthy diet and lifestyle.

Most research into cancer is now focusing on boosting the bodies own immune system (most of which is in the gut) so that it can fight cancer itself. This information I got first hand from a friend who works in cancer research.

It's also possible (and I mean this without a hint of patronising at all) that what you think is a healthy diet, might not actually be a healthy diet. What we have been told the last 20-30 years is really not very good advice. Perhaps this is a topic for another time, but I think it matters.
    Excuse me! I did not say diet makes no difference! I was saying that I still got cancer even though I eat clean and do all the things that are supposed to prevent it. My Oncologist who is also a world renowned researcher told me that my diet was healthy. I have always eaten a well balanced diet consisting of lean proteins and vegetables. My trainer is also a certified nutritionist with many years of experience, and she didn’t even need to tweak my diet when I started working with her, so excuse me for taking offense to your post! I’m an educated person who took nutrition classes in college as well. I do eat clean!

Erin, I truly hope you can get help with your anxiety but please don’t beat yourself up. A lot of damage that is done by a non healthy lifestyle can be reversed by clean eating and exercise. I learned this from some of my trainer’s other clients. You did not offend me at all! I’m sorry for any misunderstanding with my previous post. All the best to you my dear!

Quote Originally Posted by StephA View Post
    Excuse me! I did not say diet makes no difference! I was saying that I still got cancer even though I eat clean and do all the things that are supposed to prevent it. My Oncologist who is also a world renowned researcher told me that my diet was healthy. I have always eaten a well balanced diet consisting of lean proteins and vegetables. My trainer is also a certified nutritionist with many years of experience, and she didn’t even need to tweak my diet when I started working with her, so excuse me for taking offense to your post! I’m an educated person who took nutrition classes in college as well. I do eat clean!
    I agree, many people who get cancer (and other serious diseases) have lived healthy (and often stress free) lives. They get these because of genetic mutations that take place in their DNA that are beyond their control.

We had a lovely teacher at school who died of non-smokers lung cancer. None of her family members smoked and she did not grow up in a smoggy city! My fiance's aunt died in her nineties (of old age) yet she'd been a smoker all her life!

Diet and lifestyle are important but they're not the be all and end all of health, genetics can play a big part too.

Quote Originally Posted by WiseMonkey View Post
    I agree, many people who get cancer (and other serious diseases) have lived healthy (and often stress free) lives. They get these because of genetic mutations that take place in their DNA that are beyond their control.

We had a lovely teacher at school who died of non-smokers lung cancer. None of her family members smoked and she did not grow up in a smoggy city! My fiance's aunt died in her nineties (of old age) yet she'd been a smoker all her life!

Diet and lifestyle are important but they're not the be all and end all of health, genetics can play a big part too.
    Thank you WiseMonkey! This was the EXACT point I was trying to make. Well put! It’s frustrating enough to battle an illness, but depressing when you live a healthy lifestyle and still get cancer or any other illness, like you say.
    I’m truly sorry to hear about your losses. Thanks again for clarifying what I was trying to get across in my first post.

Thank you all again for the considerate posts and offering your advice and encouragement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information