Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: High cancer risk worries

Re: High cancer risk worries

I agree entirely with Steph, totally. I am glad she posted it. I have had this discussion so many times on a breast cancer forum, with newly diagnosed women who are wrought with 'guilt' and analysing that they caused 'C' somehow. Besides the women that blame themselves, there are many who once they have had the diagnosis presume that they can control it happening againg by adopting excessively obsessive lifestyles where everything that enters their mouth is monitored. This is part of the reason I say that stats are a 'slippery slope', because most BC cases are not related to any family history, that is an over-played theory. I was told that BC is just 'once of those things', in a huge number of cases it is just 'unlucky shit happening' and no risk factors can be in evidence. Of course it always makes sense to try and adhere to a healthy life style that avoids 'risk factors', for example there is 'proof' that exercise diminishes risk....but it should be borne in mind that these are large scale stats of many tens of thousands of people used to formulate the general risk trends.It may have an effect in one persons case that they exercise, but not in another person's case. The point is that all any of us can do is live in a way that we are psychologically comfortable with, the risk factors may be of relevance to us, they may not, no guarantees and no prophecies as I said earlier. You know what also - even if you are unfortunate enough to get a diagnosis of BC, no risk factor can be attributed generally to the cause (unless of course you have BRCA).

I was also perfect BMI, teetotal, non smoker, vegetarian with good diet, not a massive cardiac exerciser but very physically active and a walker, 2 female family members with BC but not my closest female family line. Steph had a rarer form of BC, generally seen in younger women which is harder to treat. With 1 in 8 having BC at some point in a lifetime (usually old age) that accounts for the number that are seen in most families. Now, I repeat what she also said, that this is not said to scare people, but part of dealing with HA (in my opinion) is learning that life holds risk, things do happen, but as Steph and I prove, there is modern era medical strength and learning to reduce the fear of a diagnosis is quite liberating and learning that adopting healthy lifestyles is important for so many reasons - but its no guarantee of anything. So many people, erin included, fear and fear and fear...I won't cope IF the absolute worse happens, IF I have a diagnosis of something.....but you know what everyone will at some point in life and when your back is against the wall you do what is necessary to get through. I don't even think its about bravery, to be perfectly frank (and many people I know who have had C agree) its about being thrown into a situation where you have no choice and just get on with what is needed.

Something is gonna finish us off, for some it is earlier in life, but we are all mortal and for most this will be in old age.

That was a ramble.....but wanted to add it is very exciting to hear about and read the immunotherapies research that are taking place in the last few years It is beyond exciting, the thought that at some point brutal treatment methods could be a thing of the past. Wanna do something that really tries to reduce probability of people dying of cancer ? Give to cancer research! Then adopt the very obvious and well known healthy living strategies that are known to be beneficial for all sorts of illnesses, and live for the day.
    Last edited by Carys; 21-02-20 at 12:26.

The people who live the 'perfect' life and still get cancer. The ones that are here telling us that the still got cancer even though they were healthy. Perhaps if they weren't healthy, perhaps if they still drank, smoked, ate fried food and never exercised, perhaps they wouldn't have survived.

It's about playing the numbers (which this thread is really about) and having cancer (of any kind) whilst being healthy is guaranteed to be more survivable than having cancer (of any kind) as an already sick person. Surely that point cannot be argued with?

And diet aside, we ALL lead far more stressful lives than we ought to, whether we recognise it or not. An absence of stress is more important than the diet anyway.....in my opinion.

Carys, anxietyjoe, Steph, Wisemonkey...

I read your perspectives and wish desperately that I could adopt that line of thinking easily and quickly...I do. Everything you bring forward in your comments makes complete sense..every morning I wake with fears of 'what ifs'.

Somehow over the last few years I've become highly dysfunctional in my thinking to the extent that its ruining every waking day of my life. I'm going to keep trying to do better and just do my best. Some days the fear feels unbearable and hopeless.

Thank you all again.

Quote Originally Posted by erincassells View Post
    Carys, anxietyjoe, Steph, Wisemonkey...

I read your perspectives and wish desperately that I could adopt that line of thinking easily and quickly...I do. Everything you bring forward in your comments makes complete sense..every morning I wake with fears of 'what ifs'.

Somehow over the last few years I've become highly dysfunctional in my thinking to the extent that its ruining every waking day of my life. I'm going to keep trying to do better and just do my best. Some days the fear feels unbearable and hopeless.

Thank you all again.
    Changing thinking habits is incredibly hard, so don't think I learned this perspective quickly. I drove myself mad with HA for years before I really got it. I once had a bleeding mole and wrote a will. It's absurd. I worked my ass off to NOT think the way I used to, and that's what you need to do too. It took me months and months to re-learn how to think normally.

I hope I can get through it. It's literally driving me to the brink lately. I've gone so far as to check my life insurance policy and verify clauses. I have never struggled more in my life.

An absence of stress is more important than the diet anyway.....in my opinion.
    Hugely agree with this !!!!

Perhaps if they weren't healthy, perhaps if they still drank, smoked, ate fried food and never exercised, perhaps they wouldn't have survived.
    Also a good point.

I hope I can get through it. It's literally driving me to the brink lately.
    You will, its going to take some time, and won't be easy - the first step with counselling is a good one though. How did your duodenum scan go ?

Thank you. I had the upper GI live swallow with barium on Monday and another endoscope yesterday, everything appeared to be normal asides from mild esophagitis from reflux. He took tissues samples which I have to wait on, but otherwise all looked to be okay. My GI system has been a wreck for months and started the spiral...add in the mammo scare.

So, now I have to wait on results. Even with good news yesterday, I immediately start to worry on waiting for final results.

The fear loop that never ends.

I really am trying to stay rational, but I admit most days I fail miserably.

That looks really positive. I had pretty much the same thing when I had an endoscopy. They also took samples which came back fine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information