Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pretty sure I've got a stomach ulcer again

Re: Pretty sure I've got a stomach ulcer again

Quote Originally Posted by kalny View Post
    Hi Dizzy.

I developed an ulcer on my birthday this year - the 19th of Feb. I was having a horrendous time at work and was stressed beyond belief. My doctor thinks it was stress.

I had to suffer with it for 8 days. I kept an eye on it this time. It took me 8 days to get better. It was very rocky at the start and then gradually got better as I treated it. I've learned this time around that treating it is key. Just hoping it will go away will not work. People say stress can cause ulcers which I believe now, but alleviating that stress won't make it go away. Stress makes it worse; if you have an ulcer, that is a very real, physical issue that requires physical action to fix. I took Ranitidine initially which made me very depressed. Then I got prescribed Omeprazole but didn't end up taking it as I was able to manage my symptoms with Rennies by that point. As depressed and awful as the Ranitidine made me feel, for the few days I took it, it allowed my stomach to heal.

I found it was much worse in the evenings. Eating little and often was key as that kept the burning and the nausea at bay. As soon as I felt nausea I would eat. I would eat plain yoghurts, and things with a lot of protein. Meaty fridge snacks were great for it, like cold sausages, scotch eggs and pork pies. I discovered green tea this time around as well, which really helped.

It seemed to feel like it would last forever when I was going through it. It won't. You just have to take some action to get yourself back to normal. I hope this helps you, Dizzy.

Thanks for this. I had a telephone consultant with the doctor yesterday and she advised me to take lansoprazole once in the morning and once in the evening. The acid reflux has calmed a little now I just feel hot and cold. I think my mistake has been thinking it would go away on its own :( evenings are a real challenge but I try to eat small amounts a few times.

Re: Pretty sure I've got a stomach ulcer again

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy1 View Post
    Thanks for this. I had a telephone consultant with the doctor yesterday and she advised me to take lansoprazole once in the morning and once in the evening. The acid reflux has calmed a little now I just feel hot and cold. I think my mistake has been thinking it would go away on its own :( evenings are a real challenge but I try to eat small amounts a few times.
    I know exactly what you're going through. Because you're treating it, it will end. It might take a few days, but I promise it will end and you'll be back to normal soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information