Thread: is this true??

is this true??

does any body think that its true that when you have an attack, if you just sit it out.... (as scary and arful that would be) and just dont move just ride it out that it wont get any worse then what it already is, and that it will die down??

I want to try this but god i dont think i could, i would be too scaryed that im going to die or something.

Has anybody tryed this??.... any volentees? lol

Re: is this true??

Hello Serena,

Yes, I have done this, yes it is scarey, but if you don't fight the panic and anxiety it will pass. I just do my Deep Breathing and Relaxation exercises and keep tellin myself yes that I am ok and this too shall pass. I know its hard to think this way but if you could only try it once , I think you will see for yourself that it does work. Also check out Michelles post today about Tips for Dealing with panic and Anxiety. Also check out her sucess story I promise you, you will be glade that you read it.

Thanks for your post

Take Care
    Believe

I Believe That IN Time We All Will Get Better

i have read this all so. i have tried it,but it is hard if you are out and about,i just head 4 home. i have done it at home when i have had a panic attack i have just sat there my body goes numb but i still felt just as drained. if i feel like i am going to have an attack i just start cleaning the house to take my mine off it, as you can imagine the house is now spotless

The only time I have ever sat out a panic attack I really thought I was gonna die.

I phoned my brother at work and told him I was going to collapse, packed a bag (Ithought I was dying and would have to go to hospital).. anyway by the time my brother got to me it was all over. He took me straight to the doctors and he just said my BP was raised jeeez lol

That panic attack lasted about 40mins, but it taught me, no you dont die or have to be admited to hospital, it will pass xx

Hi......I too have sat through a panic attack and waited for it to pass. It was at midnight. I remember feeling really hot so I opened the window and just sat there with the cold air on my face. It was difficult, but it did pass. I've never been brave enough to do it since though, I always have to ring someone and pray that they answer.

karen x

When we have a panic attack, it frightens us so much that we focus on those feelings which in turn panic us more so the symptoms intensify because we're keeping them going without realising it.

It's not really a case of sitting and waiting for it to pass because while we sit we just think about how bad we're feeling.

The trick is Not to focus on them and get the mind to think of something else, then before you know it, the feelings have gone. The quicker you concentrate your mind away from how ill you're feeling, the quicker the panic feeling passes.

Yes, I know it's easy to say but hard to do but it Does work once you take back control of your mind. It's a question of being determined to overcome it but that doesn't mean fighting it - it means learning to allow it to go through you knowing it won't harm you.

It's really as Believe says about relaxing and as Viv says about keeping busy. Just don't sit, think and wait because you'll feel ten times worse!

Hi all
    YES it is very possible to ride a panic attack out , the actual peak of the attack lasts roughly about 22 seconds then the adrenalin levels being to calm down again , what you feel there after is the effect the attack has had on your body , Its HOW we approach it and deal with it that matters , I used to vizualise my panic as a little man walking up a hill , i knew it would reach the top and the flight or fight would kick in but i also knew that once that little man reached the top of the hill there was only ONE way he could go and that was DOWN, sounds silly I know but it helped to establish the fact that nothing bad was gonna happen,

You can also help yourself by dropping your shoulders relax your body and taking some slow deep breaths concentrate on riding it out, once the panic has dropped they symptoms we are left with can be horrid and worrying so give yourself a few minutes to recover then do something to distact yourself from what happened ,

trust me if i can do it anyone can good luck

Michelle xxxx
    But you try farting and see how much attention you get !!!

The short answer is YES you can ride out a panic attack. In fact, no matter how you deal with a panic attack - you are essentially riding it out. Whether you breathe yourself down into a calmer state or pass out in extreme trama, the attack will subside. When an attack hits, believe it or not, (so long as it's not the first time ever) we have a choice how we can react it. Play it cool and show your body who's in charge.

-Rachel

Thread Information