Thread: Question related to my cat, please read

Question related to my cat, please read

As some of you may know through my posts, I suffer from truly severe germaphobia. It is actually getting worse, and it is seriously affecting my day to day life, but, I somehow muddle through. I also love animals, and I have had cats most of my adult life. We now have a beautiful tortie, 6 years old, who has regular vet exams, and is up to all of her needed shots. My husband and I are very loving and responsible pet people. However, since my germapobia related OCD has worsened, I rarely pet her, and when I do ( because I really want to), I wash my hands after. So, last night she was sleeping at my feet, and when I stirred, she got up, started bumping her head against my hand, and licked my fingers couple of times. I fell asleep again, thinking: first thing I wake up is to wash my hands. But I got up at dawn to pee, and I did that without washing my hands ( I forgot, was half asleep). Now I am worried that when I gently wiped myself with toilet paper, I could have somehow infected myself with something - how or what, I have no idea, and deep inside I feel it is impossible. I also understand that people infect themselves mostly with oral route, and I have trained myself NEVER to touch my face without thinking before if my hands had touched something " suspicious" before.

So, could I have infected myself by gently wiping with toilet tissue after peeing? I just want to stop thinking about this, it is ( again) ruining the another whole day for me. I am so incredibly tired of this. Thank you all in advance

Re: Question related to my cat, please read

Please don't worry about this? I know how HA logic works but nothing bad will happen.

(Also, cat photo please? I grew up with a little tortie girl.)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Please don't worry about this? I know how HA logic works but nothing bad will happen.

(Also, cat photo please? I grew up with a little tortie girl.)
    Dear BlueIris, Thank you so much. I know there is no rime or reason for this, I do not even know how under the Sun, could any germ enter into me the way I described it. AT this point my OCD is absolutely horrendous although I am trying very hard to curb it, to fight it. My hands are raw and super dry from excessive washing, I cannot even start to tell how exhausted I am from this hyper vigilance.
    Also - here is our baby, her name is Voodoo.Voodoo.jpg

Please try to be careful and not hurt yourself any more? Can you at least try and get a decent strength moisturising cream for your hands? You don't deserve to suffer like this (I've accidentally hurt myself in the past from OCD too.)

Also, what a beautiful lady, and what a classy name for her!

BlueIris, I was in therapy few years back, but when it came to serious exposure therapy, I simply could not go through with it. I just could not. I feel like such a failure. I do not go out to eat any longer, and I burn my food when I cook it. To go to the bathroom at work is a carefully crafted ritual, and I do not use toilet paper when out of my house, I carry along my own tissues for the bathroom. I have trained myself not to touch my face randomly - but " accidents" still happen, because it is impossible to maintain such a vigilance because it is abnormal. Sigh.....

In other news - thank you for compliments for Voodoo. She is real princess, and remain kittenish. She is very cute and smart. We got her from our local shelter when she was a couple of months old.

I'm so sorry you're having such an awful time, Lana. Please feel free to PM me any time you want to chat?

Quote Originally Posted by Lana View Post

So, could I have infected myself by gently wiping with toilet tissue after peeing? I just want to stop thinking about this, it is ( again) ruining the another whole day for me. I am so incredibly tired of this. Thank you all in advance
    What's stopping you?

I have rescued and rehomed hundreds of cats. I’ve taken on the sickest of the sickest and kiss them, pet them and clean up vomit and poo without a seconds thought on what they could give me because in reality cats diseases dont transfer to people. Well ringworm does and have had that a few times but if anything I believe my immunity gets stronger being exposed to all this. Love your cat and let him love you back. You are and will always be fine. X
    Last edited by leebop; 24-02-20 at 12:29. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by leebop View Post
    I have rescued and rehomed hundreds of cats. I’ve taken on the sickest of the sickest and kiss them, pet them and clean up vomit and poo without a seconds thought on what they could give me because in reality cats diseases dont transfer to people. Well ringworm does and have had that a few times but if anything I believe my immunity gets stronger being exposed to all this. Love your cat and let him love you back. You are and will always be fine. X
    Leebop,

I love cats very much, and I will never stop loving them. Thank you for the voice of reason, and I believe you re totally right. The anxiety and OCD make me stupid, that is so sad.

Thank you all for responding and comforting me. I hate OCD more than anything.

Thread Information