Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Found a dead Rat buried in garden while gardening will I get a disease? Panicking

Re: Found a dead Rat buried in garden while gardening will I get a disease? Panicking

Quote Originally Posted by Nighttime pacer View Post
    Thanks everyone, I feel so supported and calmed down by you all. Thanks so much for all replying it really means a lot to me. I know I just have to let it go and I gradually am.
    I think the reality was when my step dad went all the way to Taiwan via Germany and back again and he didn’t catch it I began to believe I was safe. And also when I found stats of people with it and without it got to keep a realistic perspective on things. I believe you can do it! I can’t believe I managed to do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Found a dead Rat buried in garden while gardening will I get a disease? Panicking

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    You do realize you come in contact with more germs going to the grocery store don't you?

Positive thoughts
    Yes indeed, apparently supermarket trolley handles carry more germs than a toilet seat!

Hi All, I’m still sort of panicking a bit about the rat and diseases. I realise I didn’t touch it with bare hands but my brain is still doing a “what if there was something that flicked out of the rat when I touch it with the trowel? What if it wasn’t properly washed off when I showered”. I get so annoyed with myself about it all but also find it so exhausting when my health anxiety kicks in. I have s counselling session on Weds, I’ll have plenty to talk about!
    Thanks,
    Nighttime pacer

Please do reconsider using poison bait. It kills so many other animals like owls, dogs, cats who happen to get a poisoned rat.

Did you eat the rat or any of it's poop? I am guessing not. If you did you would have bigger issues that the rat 😂. I used to work in a place infested with rats and didn't get I'll. Please dont stress.

Hi all,
    I’m so frustrated with myself. I had the rat removed by the pest control guy today. He said in 25 years he’s never been infected by a rat and he’s only had one customer who was. I read on the NHS website that to get Weil’s disease you need to touch the dead animal and for some secretions to get into your skin or mouth. The fact I was wearing gloves and only my trowel touched it (I asked the pest control guy to get rid of the trowel) means I’m pretty safe. Also even if a small amount of infected soil touched my clothes they were washed straight away and also I showered straight away before eating or drinking. I also read that once any area infected dries out that’s it the bacteria is dead so I know my patio slabs are safe.
    I just wish I could shut the anxiety up. I think I need to see my GP to talk it through.
    Nighttime pacer

Hi all,
    I’m so frustrated with myself. I had the rat removed by the pest control guy today. He said in 25 years he’s never been infected by a rat and he’s only had one customer who was. I read on the NHS website that to get Weil’s disease you need to touch the dead animal and for some secretions to get into your skin or mouth. The fact I was wearing gloves and only my trowel touched it (I asked the pest control guy to get rid of the trowel) means I’m pretty safe. Also even if a small amount of infected soil touched my clothes they were washed straight away and also I showered straight away before eating or drinking. I also read that once any area infected dries out that’s it the bacteria is dead so I know my patio slabs are safe.
    I just wish I could shut the anxiety up. I think I need to see my GP to talk it through.
    Nighttime pacer
    Do you think these things are connected? Reading about things and anxiety?

Hint - they are.

Stop reading, stop researching, stop checking. Health anxiety is not an affliction that comes TO you, it's a behaviour you repeat.

Dont reply 'it's hard', we all know it's hard. Just stop doing it and practice not doing it until you get it right. It's the only way. It'll take months, at least.

I once had suspected Weil’s disease I was in a canal with a massive open wound on my leg and the hospital put me on strong antibiotics and I was fine, as far as I can recall it was suspected or confirmed and I was absolutely fine I’d never heard of it until they told me so I think it’s rare to catch. I wouldn’t worry.
    Yes talk about your anxiety with gp explain what’s going on

Thanks Anxietyjoe & Phoenixess, I realise you’re quite right about the checking online which only adds to the anxiety. I’ve got an appointment on Thursday to see a GP at least I’ll be able to discuss it with him. I’m hoping by then my anxiety will be much lower anyway.

Thanks Anxietyjoe & Phoenixess, I realise you’re quite right about the checking online which only adds to the anxiety. I’ve got an appointment on Thursday to see a GP at least I’ll be able to discuss it with him. I’m hoping by then my anxiety will be much lower anyway.
    Good luck write stuff down if you need to so you don’t forget and know your options xx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information