Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Found a dead Rat buried in garden while gardening will I get a disease? Panicking

Found a dead Rat buried in garden while gardening will I get a disease? Panicking

Hi all,
    I was gardening earlier today and digging a hole to put a new plant in and came across something which I thought was the root of a plant or something I dug around a bit more and discovered it was a buried dead rat! I freaked came back inside put all my clothes in the washing machine and then jumped straight into the shower. I'm really worried that I'll get some sort of disease from it. I was wearing gloves while I was gardening though and the ground was really wet so I'm not worried about dust. I had gardening gloves on with disposable latex ones underneath, I know it's a bit O.T.T but I just feel safer gardening like that. I've even thrown my old gardening shoes away in case they were contaminated. I contacted a local pest control man who's coming round tomorrow to get rid of it and also supply me with a bait box which will apparently kill off up to 50 rats if there are more in the area. He said it was probably buried by a fox. I never leave food in my garden and don't even put out food for birds so don't think I'm doing anything to attract them.
    I realise once I think logically about it that I've probably not put myself in any real danger but can't stop worrying!
    Thanks for reading my latest ramble!
    Nighttime Pacer

Re: Found a dead Rat buried in garden while gardening will I get a disease? Panicking

Ok then.......

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Re: Found a dead Rat buried in garden while gardening will I get a disease? Panicking

Thanks Fishmanpa but it doesn't stop me worrying.
    I guess I'll be better after it's gone.

You do realize you come in contact with more germs going to the grocery store don't you?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I really doubt you have caught a disease, the diseases rats have come mainly if they bite you or somehow your ingest their faeces! I’m pretty certain your safe! Can you retrieve your shoes?

Are there cats in your area? Cat probs brought it as a present

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess that's true, although due to coronavirus I did wash my hands as soon as I got home from the supermarket today!

You are more likely to get an illness from a live one. They reckon in the uk you are no further than 6 ft away from a rat. Which means you have come across them without knowing and you have been ok so far.

The soil you're digging in is (de)composed of centuries worth of dead things.

Unless you chewed on the dead rat, the chances of you contracting a disease are absolutely zero.

This is simply a matter of choice, do you imagine something that isn't happening and worry about it, or laugh it off and get on with your day. There is no more to this, than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nighttime pacer View Post
    I guess that's true, although due to coronavirus I did wash my hands as soon as I got home from the supermarket today!
    Who in the supermarket had coronavirus?
    I knocked my coronavirus fears out the park I wouldn’t let that get to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone, I feel so supported and calmed down by you all. Thanks so much for all replying it really means a lot to me. I know I just have to let it go and I gradually am.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information