Thread: Scared of taking Paxil

Scared of taking Paxil

My doctor prescribed it to me Thursday for depression and anxiety and I知 just so afraid to take it. Thing is o took it around 8 years ago and it helped a lot but it made me gain quite a bit of weight. That痴 my big fear I知 already at like 185 when I should be like 160 so I知 scared it値l make me 200 pounds in a few months being on it...

Re: Scared of taking Paxil

Should I maybe go back to my doctor and request something different?

It would be courteous to update your 'I have cancer' thread as you saw the doctor last week about all your symptoms. There are many who would be interested and have been replying to you.

As for the Paxil - if it worked then use it. If it makes a difference to you, then start it. Change/adapt your eating habits and increase exercise to counteract it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo27 View Post
    My doctor prescribed it to me Thursday for depression and anxiety and I知 just so afraid to take it. Thing is o took it around 8 years ago and it helped a lot but it made me gain quite a bit of weight. That痴 my big fear I知 already at like 185 when I should be like 160 so I知 scared it値l make me 200 pounds in a few months being on it...
    Paroxetine (Paxil) is the SSRI most likely to cause weight gain. Escitalopram (Lexapro), sertraline (Zoloft) and fluoxetine (Prozac) are better bets if weight gain is a concern. You may find this useful: How to control weight gain when prescribing antidepressants

Exercise will help, not only for weight, but also for anxiety/depression as it helps stimulate the growth of new brain cells (neurogenesis) which is how ADs produce the therapeutic response. You don't need to run a daily marathon, a 30 minute walk 4-5 days a week can make a significant difference to both body and mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    It would be courteous to update your 'I have cancer' thread as you saw the doctor last week about all your symptoms. There are many who would be interested and have been replying to you.

As for the Paxil - if it worked then use it. If it makes a difference to you, then start it. Change/adapt your eating habits and increase exercise to counteract it.
    Pretty sure I did update everyone and what the doctor said..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo27 View Post
    My doctor prescribed it to me Thursday for depression and anxiety and I’m just so afraid to take it. Thing is o took it around 8 years ago and it helped a lot but it made me gain quite a bit of weight. That’s my big fear I’m already at like 185 when I should be like 160 so I’m scared it’ll make me 200 pounds in a few months being on it...
    Good that you have managed to gain weight despite your ongoing health issues though......?

I'm on Paxil. I've not noticed weight gain and it helps with my mental health. For me it took a while to stabilize. Do not miss doses because skipping just one is enough to cause hangover like symptoms, vomiting etc. Missed on last night because I fell asleep. It happens. Exercises is the key. I exercises regular. I also fast for most the day and only eat once a day. I'm 172lbs, according to NHS site I'm overweight

But, are they worth taking? Hell yes!
    Last edited by WiredIncorrectly; 26-02-20 at 14:44.

Good that you have managed to gain weight despite your ongoing health issues though......?
    I would like to see a reply from Hypo to this statement. On another thead we have heard for months how he is in the final stages of terminal cancer, yet, has gained weight and is over weight!.........its extraordinary how he can resolve these two facts -weight gain, terminal cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    I would like to see a reply from Hypo to this statement. On another thead we have heard for months how he is in the final stages of terminal cancer, yet, has gained weight and is over weight!.........its extraordinary how he can resolve these two facts -weight gain, terminal cancer.
    That's true. Cancer is the opposite. You lose weight rapidly, even if you are eating normally.

Ooops...I suspect Hypo made a bit of a cock up here but no doubt he will come back with an "aggressive cancer leading to fluid retention/weight gain" scenario.

Thread Information