Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lymph Nodes or Submandibular Salivary Glands? Looking for advice!

Lightbulb Lymph Nodes or Submandibular Salivary Glands? Looking for advice!

Hi there,

I was looking for some advice and guidance as to whether I am feeling my submandibular salivary glands or lymph nodes midway under my jawline on both sides? Can anyone else feel these?

They aren't directly along the jawbone, but more a few cms down about halfway across the jaw. The reason I ask is I've never noticed them, and after having an infected tooth over the past few days (of which I am on Amoxicillin for) have had some swelling at the very back of the jaw right under where the tooth is located, so naturally wanted to check my lymph nodes and have found these two which have put concern into my mind as one looks to be a little bigger than the other one.

They feel relatively firm and immovable about 3-4cm in length, and don't necessarily pop out so they don't present as bumps in the skin, but they can be felt by applying some firm pressure and running your fingers along the top of the neck tracing under the jaw a few cms down. I can feel one tiny (pea sized) lymph node just slightly next to it closer to the jawbone (more under the jawbone), which has been there for years, but it's size comparison is quite stark to this potential salivary gland and scares me - so am hoping this is my submandibular salivary gland and not a lymph node.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

Re: Lymph Nodes or Submandibular Salivary Glands? Looking for advice!

Well if it is a lymph node you have a perfectly logical reason for why it would be reactive.

I don’t know if you can feel the saliva glands or not but it’s probably best that one doesn’t regularly check their lymph nodes, if there were to ever be an issue where they are concerned they would present themselves in a noticeable way.

There are multiple glands in that area and yes you can feel them, that's normal.
    I was at the dentist recently, part of the exam was to feel my lymph nodes and salivary glands, his touch was so soft and light it tickled me. No poking or prodding.

In your case, you had a recent infection, if there is anything at all you know it's cause and affect.

Worried about Lymphoma, or Submandibular Glands

I’m in need of reassurance, and whether anyone can feel their submandibular glands? I’ve been feeling what I thought were two of my own enlarged nodes on both sides underneath my jaw, and am worried despite logic telling me they could possibly be my submandibular salivary glands.

I made a thread about it in the ‘Symptoms’ sub-forum, but didn’t have many people reply and began to worry that no one else can feel their submandibular glands.

I went to a walk-in doctor as I was super worried, and after querying her as to whether they were submandibular glands, she believes they are lymph nodes - despite the location of said glands I’m feeling being 1-2cm down from the middle of my jawline and about 3-5cm in length (as aren’t lymph nodes immediately underneath the jawline, mostly hidden?) I can palpate one tiny pea sized lymph node almost under my chin, but that has been there forever and stayed the same ever since.

What I think are my submandibular glands are around halfway down my jawline, 1-2cm down from the jaw on my neck (either side of my tongue virtually), and can only feel them when I puff out the skin/muscle under my jaw (by pushing my tongue against the roof of my mouth) and then feeling then rather deeply. Otherwise I can barely feel them if I sit my head normally or look up. They are around the size of my thumb.

I need help as I’m freaking out, as I’ve had one lymph node swell and visibly puff out of my skin (at the very back of my jawline) due to a infected wisdom tooth, but it no longer puffs out and has slowly gone down over the past week and a bit. Having seen that I since felt for others and noticed what I hope are the submandibular glands, and not knowing if I’ve noticed them before, I have been in a spiral.

To make matters more concerning I’ve had a lingering dry cough for weeks, and not sure if it’s due to anxiety and whether anxiety can manifest a dry cough?

Thank you to anyone that can provide help and words of advice.

Re: Worried about Lymphoma, or Submandibular Glands

You very well could have a lingering infection so a trip to your Dr would be in order to check things out.

Poking your lymph nodes (contorting your face and tongue trying to feel them) can make them shotty (aggravated) and they'll take ages to go down! If you can't feel them with a gentle touch, then leave them alone, they just reside there doing their job.

This sounds very similar to what I have too! I’ve been trying to reassure myself that because they’re symmetrical, they must be normal!

Quote Originally Posted by Limeslime View Post
    This sounds very similar to what I have too! I’ve been trying to reassure myself that because they’re symmetrical, they must be normal!
    The annoying thing is I’m sure I would have noticed them before now, but because I was never actively looking for lymph nodes I didn’t bother to have concerns about them, so didn’t remember it.

It’s just strange not many others have said they can feel their own submandibular glands also, which I thought many others would also be confusing them with lymph nodes.

Just seen that your doctor thinks they're lymph nodes, seems odd as they sound EXACTLY like the palpable glands that everyone has. If there is something wrong, since it's the same both sides, it's likely to be some sort of infection or inflammation affecting the submandibular glands / nodes. That's VERY common.

I honestly completely don't think you need to worry about cancer. Perfectly symmetrical things are not cancer.

The cough could be related to the infection, if you have one.

Honestly, most likely I think there's nothing going on at all and it'll all resolve by itself if there's even anything to resolve.

If your doctor wants to send you for an x-ray I guess you could go but it seems like overkill at this point.

Good luck, but I'm 99.9% sure you have NOTHING to worry about here.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

My doctor told me to start worrying when I had lymph nodes the size of grapes.

About 4 years ago when I had bad healthy anxiety I could feel nodes in my neck, armpits, above my collarbones, and under my jaw. (The jaw ones were probably salivary glands. I self diagnosed them)

I'm still here today with no health issues. I also learned how touching them could make them swell like crazy. I could make the ones above my collarbone double in size in minutes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information