Wake up sweaty whenever I sleep

I don't know if this is a long term side effect of the medications I'm on but every time I fall asleep - regardless of day/time - I will wake up sweaty. Sometimes my legs are drenched, other times my neck and chest, other times all over.

I've had it for a while now. There is no other changes in my health. I'm eating well, exercising, and doing well mentally. It's just annoying to wake up covered in sweat and be shivering cold.

I've since read that Paxil is known to cause this. I'm on Paxil, Promazine and Valium.

Re: Wake up sweaty whenever I sleep

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I've since read that Paxil is known to cause this. I'm on Paxil, Promazine and Valium.
    It is probably both the paroxetine and promazine. All serotonergic ADs may cause excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis). Serotonin is not just a brain neurotransmitter. It has many roles in the body including mediating blood vessel tone, constriction and dilation and ADs may affect this function causing dilation of the fine blood vessels under the skin surface. Vasodilation is also a promazine side-effect which is likely compounding the problem.

Also, serotonergic ADs increase skin sensitivity to UV light so it is important to use sun screen if outdoors for extended periods.

I suggest you first discuss this with your pharmacist as there may be effective topical preparations that reduce sweating. Medically, small 1mg doses of the blood pressure medication terazosin (Hytrin) have been shown to significantly reduce SSRI induced sweating, as has oxybutynin (Ditropan) which is prescribed for overactive bladders, but I suspect GPs would be reluctant to prescribe them. They might consider gabapentin, however, which is sometimes prescribed for menopausal hot flushes and night sweats at doses around 200-300mg/day, but I'd only opt for this if other options fail.

- - What to know about: Telepsychiatry | Teletherapy - -

The opinions expressed above are based on my observations and, where applicable, interpretation of cited data and are general in nature. Consult your physician before acting on anything stated.

Thread Information