Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommended medication for catastrophic thinking?

Re: Recommended medication for catastrophic thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by matrix123 View Post
    Met with a doctor a few days ago and was prescribed Sertraline. Was generally satisfied with her approach. Starting with 25mg for 1 week, next week 50mg, next 75mg and then on 100mg.
    She might be a keeper. Ime, 90% of GPs will prescribe a starting dose of 50mg.

I'm feeling the side effects now, but hope it will improve in the next couple of days....
    While starting on a low dose should moderate the severity of side-effects it may not eliminate them. It become a matter of treating the symptoms as they arise. Plus, keep in mind that not all are necessarily caused directly by the AD. And anxious mind is very capable of producing the whole gamut of side-effects too.

I have gone through the same process before, but I guess we forget that it's bad in the beginning. Day 4 today and feeling pretty bad, low mood, low energy, feels like doing nothing, troubled sleep. Hopefully it will get better in 10 days time or...(side effect I mean...to get the benefits a couple of weeks)

I have gone through the same process before, but I guess we forget that it's bad in the beginning. Day 4 today and feeling pretty bad, low mood, low energy, feels like doing nothing, troubled sleep. Hopefully it will get better in 10 days time or...(side effect I mean
    All fairly typical side-effects caused by the increase in serotonin activity. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do for them except grin and bear. But you're 4 days closer to putting it all behind you!

...to get the benefits a couple of weeks)
    Two weeks is likely to be way optimistic, unfortunately. It is more likely to be 6-12 weeks. The longish delay in kick-in is one of the two main drawbacks to ADs (the common initial surge in anxiety being the other) and there is no way of speeding this up.

I mean two weeks for the side effect to subside...at least 6 weeks to start seeing the benefits. Difficult process...but have to stick with it

Following your post with interest as I am considering starting 25mg Sertraline for anxiety. I will be interested to hear how you get on with the side effects. Good luck with it

Unfortunately side effects differ from person to person. I'm feeling a bit better today, but on the other hand I have a sore throat and my Anxiety is screaming Covid :(

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Penelope View Post
    Following your post with interest as I am considering starting 25mg Sertraline for anxiety. I will be interested to hear how you get on with the side effects. Good luck with it

I'm feeling a bit better today, but on the other hand I have a sore throat and my Anxiety is screaming Covid :(
    Upper respiratory tract infection (URTI) is listed as a rareish potential side-effect which demonstrates how unreliable these lists can be. To protect their arses the pharmaceutical companies just list everything reported during the drug trials irrespective of whether they believe the med caused the side-effect - and unless there is something seriously wrong with our understanding of infectious disease URTIs can't be caused by ADs - so the lists need to be treated with some scepticism.

Not worried of having the URTI from medication, just that may have got it somewhere else...

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Upper respiratory tract infection (URTI) is listed as a rareish potential side-effect which demonstrates how unreliable these lists can be. To protect their arses the pharmaceutical companies just list everything reported during the drug trials irrespective of whether they believe the med caused the side-effect - and unless there is something seriously wrong with our understanding of infectious disease URTIs can't be caused by ADs - so the lists need to be treated with some scepticism.

Day 6 today...disturbed sleep and very low energy/fatigue....mood not very bad, but scared of covid again :(

Third week now with 75mg. Last few days have been difficult and yesterday was feeling better. Then at the evening "out of nowhere" while going for a walk started feeling lightheaded and had an anxiety attack. Took Xanax to relax a bit and then slept well, but today also feeling anxious and probably having hyperventilation. However being scared of covid, keep thinking if it may be "breathing issue" and testing myself by trying to hold my breath for 90s (read it somewhere than if you can hold it long, lungs are fine). Hoping Sertraline will start working on 2 weeks or so

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information