Thread: Worried about esophageal c

Worried about esophageal c

Hello
    Please forgive me if this post is rambling a bit, this is the first time I've done this.
    I've been visiting this forum for about 6 years now since my health anxiety started.

Any way over the last 2 months or so I have noticed when I swallow food I can feel a slight uncomfortable feeling as it goes into the stomach. When it happened I did the stupid thing and searched Google. Now I'm all over the place I feel as though my stomach is tight and getting gas and chest feelings, I went to the Dr about 2 weeks ago and she said she doesn't think it's c but acid. She gave me some omeprazole to try but the thing is I don't remember having reflux much only twice before Christmas when sleeping and it woke me up that's it.
    The swallowing does seem a bit better, but can't stop focusing on it.
    I'm so worried right now I can't stop thinking about it I'm 33 and know its rare for my age but I can't stop thinking what if I'm the rare one.
    Please help I didn't go to work today as Im so worked up.

Thank you

Re: Worried about esophageal c

Sounds to me like the doc was right and you do need to give the Omeprazole a few weeks to kick in properly.

See how things go.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I have just the same symptoms and worry about them like crazy, even though I have had them on and off for years. Do you think you might be noticing sensations that you would not, if you were not so hyper aware?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo2316 View Post
    I have just the same symptoms and worry about them like crazy, even though I have had them on and off for years. Do you think you might be noticing sensations that you would not, if you were not so hyper aware?
    Hi jojo
    I seem to be hyper aware of everything at the moment.
    Every time I go to eat now I get nervous and don't feel like eating, I seem to focus on every swallow and sometimes notice a little something at the end when food goes from the oesophagus into the stomach.

Im sure I've noticed something similar before back in the summer.

When you say you have it on and off for years is it every other day or weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Sounds to me like the doc was right and you do need to give the Omeprazole a few weeks to kick in properly.

See how things go.
    Thanks.
    I just can't get this thought out of my head.
    Is the tight feeling stomach and gas feeling to do with anxiety? I'm sure it came on as soon my anxiety cam on.

Quote Originally Posted by jb3 View Post
    Is the tight feeling stomach and gas feeling to do with anxiety? I'm sure it came on as soon my anxiety cam on.
    Yes. Stomach pain, nausea, bloating was the first sign of my anxiety problems.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

So I have been driven to a gastroscopy (twice - privately!) because I felt like food was sticking in my chest at the bottom of my oesophagus. It also felt a bit like a balloon was inflated there, full and uncomfortable. Like you, I feared eating because I was so aware of every sensation in the swallowing process. My gastroscopies were clear, after which the symptoms seemed to subside (because I was noticing them less?). But recently they have been flaring up again. And again I am diagnosing myself with cancer. It sucks. But it helps so much to know others feel the same....

I haven't had a good weekend. I keep thinking that I have got something seriously wrong with me and I can't escape it.
    What is the likely hood of someone my age getting it? I know it's rare but can't help thinking.

There could be lots of reasons why you are getting symptoms, sometimes a motility issue can cause swallowing issues. Motility problems often arise in people who have autoimmune issues.

At the end of the esophagus there's a valve, which opens and shuts but sometimes this doesn't work properly and that can cause symptoms especially with acid reflux. Also inflammation in that area can cause pain. Sometimes reflux can be silent too.

I agree with your Dr too. The symptoms you describe are not OC symptoms.

I am really down at the moment. I have no energy to do anything, I can just about force my self to do social things.
    All I want to do is stay a home with my family and all I do is have these thoughts all the time.
    I've got one week left with the ppi and still have food sticking for a second or two.

Thread Information