Thread: Minimal Sleep on Klonopin

Minimal Sleep on Klonopin

Couldn't sleep at all last night, so took .25mg of Klonopin at around 4am. I was expecting to be out for several hours but woke up at 7 unable to get back to sleep. I'm wary of taking more because my prescription is very temporary and I don't want to end up feeling like I HAVE to take it in order to be able to sleep.. But is this a normal thing? I was under the impression that it was longer acting and therefore it would keep me asleep. Maybe I didn't take enough? Thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

Re: Minimal Sleep on Klonopin

Quote Originally Posted by Rennles View Post
    I was under the impression that it was longer acting and therefore it would keep me asleep. Maybe I didn't take enough?
    Benzodiazepines are generally sedating for a few weeks after first taking them, but not everyone reacts that way.

If insomnia is an ongoing problem then small doses, 12.5-75mg, of the sedating AD trazodone (Desyrel) would be a better long term bet (note: it becomes less sedating as the dose increases so taking more than 75mg can be counterproductive). Immediate-release trazodone has a very short half-life which reduces the risk of the sedating continuing into the next morning.

OTOH, if you only experience the odd sleepless night then the over-the-counter antihistamine diphenhydramine (Benadryl) may help. Not all Benadryl formulations contain diphenhydramine so check the label and ask your pharmacist about interactions if taking other medications.

Thread Information