Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Wonder how we would have coped...........?

Re: Wonder how we would have coped...........?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I wonder whether the hunter gatherers actually enjoyed hunting and gathering? They wouldn't have known any better and didn't have access to social media...Who knows how stressed/bored they were? I would imagine they were permanently stressed and counsellors weren't invented..
    I could not possibly disagree more with this. It's effectively saying that for 99% of human existence, we were all stressed and/or bored.

Stress is good for us, it promotes adaptation and resistance, but this can only happen when the stressor ends. The problem (as I see it) is that stress is increasingly a permanent fixture in our day to day lives right now, and we have less down time for the system to repair and adapt.

Of course there are benefits to modern life and I have no desire to go and live in a mud hut, but there has to be a better balance between what our bodies are designed to do, and what we're actually doing to them.

Stress is only good for you in the right format or in small quantities. Ongoing amounts of stress is not. For example... Overworking, being a carer, worrying about where your next penny is coming from, being in a futile home, suffering from a debilitating illness, being afraid, I could go on.
    Small amounts of stress like learning something new and stressing about getting it right in small doses has its benefits.

I also have to mention that a lot of people take too much on or set their goals too high with great expectations.
    Although some people have had no choice and are left in stressful situations to no fault of their own.

The difference between then and now in my opinion, is families seemed to be more close knit and stick together, where as today its very much do your own thing and keep yourself to yourself.

I've just moved in to a new area, well its been a year now and my surrounding neighbours haven't or won't even give me a good morning or a wave.
    That wasn't the case years ago in my experience. We knew and spoke to a good 20+ neighbours and helped each other. Families visited more and shopkeepers were more personal.

And yes, I could imagine a hunter for food many, many years ago becoming stressed on whether he could provide food for his family and not much to entertain you in the times between.

Not even a good soap opera or two to watch whilst masticating whatever has been gathered that day!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I wonder whether the hunter gatherers actually enjoyed hunting and gathering? They wouldn't have known any better and didn't have access to social media...Who knows how stressed/bored they were? I would imagine they were permanently stressed and counsellors weren't invented..
    Not many I would imagine. It was just life and people's views of it would be different and they would still want better and get bladders on mead!

Whilst a more natural life is appealing I think their is some rose tinting glasses involved too. You may not be as stressed about pointless stuff or feel under daily pressures due to chasing 'stuff' but I doubt it was a stressful life fearing invasion and so little law to protect people. Women were an underclass to be abused and anyone different feared or just mistreated.

I think we look at it through rose tinted glasses because we assume the luxuries of our positive modern improvements would be preserved. That's a very different place to going back in history.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Not many I would imagine. It was just life and people's views of it would be different and they would still want better and get bladders on mead!

Whilst a more natural life is appealing I think their is some rose tinting glasses involved too. You may not be as stressed about pointless stuff or feel under daily pressures due to chasing 'stuff' but I doubt it was a stressful life fearing invasion and so little law to protect people. Women were an underclass to be abused and anyone different feared or just mistreated.

I think we look at it through rose tinted glasses because we assume the luxuries of our positive modern improvements would be preserved. That's a very different place to going back in history.
    Exactly, Terry.

I personally think too many of us like to look back at the past with rose tinted glasses. Remembering the better aspects of life in those distant times, but often forgetting the not-so-good stuff that often went on. I certainly wouldn't want to go back to the days to being a kid fearful of his/her dad arriving back home and beating the living daylights out of him/her with a belt or slipper, and his/her mom being subjected to the proverbial 'wife-battering' for not having his dinner on the table ready for him and the husband/
    dad often being heavily drunk at the same time. Nor would I relish the thought of quaking in my boots at school all day long in fear of being brutalised in the toilets by bullies, and worst of all, by perpetually angry, cane-happy head teachers and not forgetting the classical sadist, slap-happy, nonce-case PE teachers!!

BTW, I was not referring to my own parents, nor any specific incidents at any of the schools I attended.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    I could not possibly disagree more with this. It's effectively saying that for 99% of human existence, we were all stressed and/or bored.

Stress is good for us, it promotes adaptation and resistance, but this can only happen when the stressor ends. The problem (as I see it) is that stress is increasingly a permanent fixture in our day to day lives right now, and we have less down time for the system to repair and adapt.

Of course there are benefits to modern life and I have no desire to go and live in a mud hut, but there has to be a better balance between what our bodies are designed to do, and what we're actually doing to them.
    Perhaps in the worst-case scenario where we have to stay at home more for a week or two due to the Coronavirus (in order to 'delay' its peak) it could ironically turn out to be a blessing to some by bringing us 'down time' to repair, adapt and reflect. Not only in the sense of a 'break', but also to make us value and appreciate our usual routines once things start returning to normal again, which I'm sure they will eventually.

I know a quite a lot of water has passed under the bridge since I first started this thread back in early March soon after joining this forum, but on Christmas Day I came across this article that I have already posted on the main Covid thread, which kind of sums up the so-called 'mean-world syndrome'.

And it's from a fully legit source (CNN).
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/25/E...ntl/index.html

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information