The 70s was a tough decade for most people.
Food was not so great at all. That's when additives in food really kicked in and the growth of the takeaway boom.
Donna kebab at 11pm. Pubs were full to the rafters and punters eating stale titbits off the bar.
Gastly food like Angel delight, nesquick, sausages that looked anaemic, cheap beans, Watery soups.
It was an era when it was ok to give a kid a packet of crisps with an extra packet of salt inside, with a curly wurly and a dairy lea cheese triangle and a can of coke.
And because of poor wages for most, would eat cheap offerings from the butcher like hearts, liver, chicken drumsticks, sausage-meat and mince.

And Joe, if you were able to buy a 5 bedroom house in London for cash, then you were one wealthy dude.
My mum had 3 jobs and my dad worked 7 days a week and still had a hefty mortgage on a terraced house and had to make cutbacks.
This became an opportunity for the 'HP' market. (Hire Purchase). And probably why the 'Credit Card 'was introduced in the 80s, which put most people in debt with the loss of many homes.
Property was the best investment and your dad's 5 bedroom house in London Joe, will probably be in the ballpark figure of a million plus.

As for jobs. Low pay, a 3 day week, strikes...
Tradesmen building stuff on the cheap remembering formica tables and most wives making their own curtains, cushions, bedspreads and clothes.
Men doing D. I. Y. and wives having to live with it.
Children wearing hand me downs and horrible knitted jumpers mum made.
Walking to school or work, because a car was a luxury.
Bullying was rife with no one to turn to.
The streets were full of gangs or protesters.
A Haircut was done by your mum and badly.
A dentist trip was only if you had toothache and most kids grew up with uneven teeth or a mouthful of Mercury filled teeth.
Holidays were mainly in the uk and usually involved camping or caravaning.

We've come along way since the 70s in my opinion!