Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Day 2 - is this normal?

Day 2 - is this normal?

Hi!

I’m been medication-free for a year, but my anxiety has been gradually getting worse again til I reached a point where I found myself “ugly crying” in front of the GP asking for help!

I’ve suffered with health anxiety for over 2yrs now. All consuming, crippling, terrified of my own body health anxiety!

So anyway...I’m on day 2 of Prozac, and both days have been hideous! The “obsessive checking” side of my HA has come out of hiding hugely! In fact, I hadn’t realised just how well I’d suppressed that aspect of my HA, til now! My brain is in overdrive with intrusive, catastrophic thoughts that I seem to have no power over!

I knew things would get worse before they got better, but I didn’t expect this so soon?
    I’m not sure how to get through 12 weeks of this!

Is this normal?

Re: Day 2 - is this normal?

Wow! This resonates so much. I was put on Prozac for severe HA as well and I can’t help but overanalyze every damn side effect. I am starting my fourth week on 10mg. Suffering from stomach issues, bouts of increased anxiety and insomnia, fatigue, and muscle pains/ache. I can’t stop obsessing over these “side effects” and thinking that are signs of some deadly illness.

Thanks for replying Sab!
    I know there is a lot of negatives there, but have you noticed any positives yet?
    This increased anxiety is destroying me!!
    I’m worrying about the most bizarre things, and checking constantly and googling...behaviours I’d pretty much learned to control but now they seem in overdrive!!! Please tell me this calms down soon?

Unfortunately, I haven’t noticed too many improvements. I am also on a small dose because of my fear of side effects. The past two days my anxiety has decreased though but not by much. I am hanging on because Prozac did miracles for my sister and my parents who all suffer from health anxiety, depression, and panic disorder.

Hang on if you can!!! I am doing the same thing as you constantly googling etc driving myself into a hole. What is helping me from completely driving myself insane is CBT. Look into mindfulness. Try to distract yourself as much as you can keep reminding yourself that it is just anxiety!

Yeah, I’ve heard good things about Prozac helping specifically with HA. I actually asked my GP for this drug because of its good reputation for helping health anxiety sufferers!
    Although it does seem that most people need to take it for 8-12 weeks before the miracles start happening!!
    Have you noticed any difference with appetite, cravings or weight?

Yes, my stomach feels pretty empty most of the time even after eating. My appetite is a lot lower than before. No cravings at all. I haven’t weighed myself but I definitely feel and look skinnier. (Too afraid to get on the scale haha)

HA is truly a beast. I have suffered from HA for over twenty years and never sought treatment until this last bad bout. Sometime in January, I caught a bad case of the flu which left me feeling fatigued, congested, worn down for more than a month. As a result of the flu, I also had to cold turkey breastfeeding my almost three year old daughter. My hormones went insane and I had terrible PMS. OF COURSE, for some odd crazy reason my HA convinced me I had developed leukemia/ or lymphoma. I went insane. Started having terrible panic attacks. Went in for a blood test and almost died of panic attacks waiting for the result. LO BEHOLD everything was normal. My husband told me enough is enough and dragged me to the psychiatrist. I am now on my fourth week of prozac and CBT.

I have to constantly remind myself that this journey won’t be easy. Prozac and therapy and most importantly I have to rewire a brain that has thought the worst for over twenty years. In order to tame the beast, I have to confront it. The side effects will suck and the beast will try to tear you down but keep hanging on. There will be LIGHT at the end of the tunnel.
    Last edited by sab5330; 03-03-20 at 20:55.

Wow, thank you for sharing your story!!! Your husband sounds like a good ‘in, and it’s great that you are finally taking control!
    Things are a bit different here in the UK. The NHS is our national treasure, and we’re so lucky to be able to receive treatment without cost, BUT it means we have to endure crazy waiting lists! I’m currently on a 12 month waiting list for high intensity CBT, and the only other treatment I am being offered is medication because our mental health service is hugely underfunded in the UK.
    Oh, it’s good to hear you havnt gained weight. I’m getting married in 6 months and am really worried about gaining weight, especially because when I was taking sertraline (Zoloft) I gained 28lbs in 10 months!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Limeslime View Post
    So anyway...I’m on day 2 of Prozac, and both days have been hideous! The “obsessive checking” side of my HA has come out of hiding hugely! In fact, I hadn’t realised just how well I’d suppressed that aspect of my HA, til now! My brain is in overdrive with intrusive, catastrophic thoughts that I seem to have no power over!

I knew things would get worse before they got better, but I didn’t expect this so soon?
    I’m not sure how to get through 12 weeks of this!

Is this normal?
    Unfortunately, just about anything and everything can be "normal" when first taking an AD, especially the SSRIs and SNRIs. They can be horrible meds which no one in their right mind would take, no pun intended, except that when they work they can greatly change lives for the better. The fact this is your second? time on a SSRI may be exacerbating the side-effects. For reasons that aren't really understood initial side-effects may become progressively more severe each time ADs are taken again. They may be different each time too.

The increased anxiety is usually short-lived, usually diminishing within a couple of weeks, though it may return for a while after dose increases. It is caused by the almost immediate increase in serotonin activity - despite the popular myths, serotonin isn't a 'feel good' neurotransmitter, just the opposite as you're discovering - but after a few weeks the body and brain respond by down-regulating its synthesis and expression and the side-effects then begin to diminish.

I suggest you alert your GP to the problems you're having asap as there are ways of limiting the anxiety spike. You shouldn't have to suffer.

What is the starting dose?

Thank you so much, that advice is really helpful!
    To answer your questions, yes, this is my second time on medication. During my first round of medication I tried sertraline and Citalopram, so this is my first time on fluoxetine.
    My starting dose is 20mg.

Quote Originally Posted by Limeslime View Post
    Thank you so much, that advice is really helpful!
    To answer your questions, yes, this is my second time on medication. During my first round of medication I tried sertraline and Citalopram, so this is my first time on fluoxetine.
    My starting dose is 20mg.
    Sigh!! There is a reason they make fluoxetine in 10mg pills. It took years of campaigning to get Eli Lilly to make it in that dose for those with anxiety disorders. Your GP deserves a swift kick in the posterior, imunho!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information