Thread: Repeat Blood Tests

Repeat Blood Tests

Hi everyone. I had really bad HA about 3 years ago but after being on medication and having a long course of CBT I managed to get over it and have been doing really well.

As part of my medication review I had to have bloods taken last Friday. This morning I had a missed call and a text from the surgery telling me that the doctor wants to repeat my blood tests and that I needed to call for an appointment.
    I phoned and asked why this was but the receptionist wouldn’t tell me anything just that “Doctor wants the tests repeated” and she made me an appt for Friday morning.

Now all the old feelings have come back (not as bad as before, probably due to the meds) and I’m scared that something is dreadfully wrong. Why have the results come back so quickly and the surgery contacted me so quickly if it is just a routine thing? Then I start thinking how I’ve felt really tired recently and had lots of aches and pains, and...... well, you all know the rest....

Anyway, I’m due to go away on holiday next week and I can’t concentrate on what I need to do or anything because of all this. Some words of reassurance would sure be welcome now.

Thank you.

Re: Repeat Blood Tests

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo61 View Post
    Hi everyone. I had really bad HA about 3 years ago but after being on medication and having a long course of CBT I managed to get over it and have been doing really well.

As part of my medication review I had to have bloods taken last Friday. This morning I had a missed call and a text from the surgery telling me that the doctor wants to repeat my blood tests and that I needed to call for an appointment.
    I phoned and asked why this was but the receptionist wouldn’t tell me anything just that “Doctor wants the tests repeated” and she made me an appt for Friday morning.

Now all the old feelings have come back (not as bad as before, probably due to the meds) and I’m scared that something is dreadfully wrong. Why have the results come back so quickly and the surgery contacted me so quickly if it is just a routine thing? Then I start thinking how I’ve felt really tired recently and had lots of aches and pains, and...... well, you all know the rest....

Anyway, I’m due to go away on holiday next week and I can’t concentrate on what I need to do or anything because of all this. Some words of reassurance would sure be welcome now.

Thank you.
    You don't say what it is (in your bloods) that needs to be repeated so it's difficult to say if it's your meds that are causing it? Most people have this happen at various times in their lives depending on what is wrong with them or what meds they're on.

I had a bone density scan recently and was told the results would be with my GP in about 2 weeks. I then got a a text a couple of days later telling me I needed to make an appointment to discuss the results. Same as you - I panicked and spoke to the receptionist who could tell me nothing, mainly because they can't always read the results - I think we assume the results will be "this is good" or "this is bad" but they are usually figures and measures of things that the receptionists probably can't interpret. Anyhow - I had the next available appt (10 day wait) and I have mild osteopaenia. No biggie and quite common as you get older. But I had imagined the worse - why did my results come through so quickly if nothing major wrong etc.....

So....try not to read too much into this....
    Last edited by Nicole0134; 03-03-20 at 21:26.

Hi... I had this in January.. I’ve been on my current HA trip since my mum passed in December and the day after my routine bloods my surgery called and said I needed to go in. I completely freaked out and managed to speak to the GP later that day (long story) who informed me that I have low Iron levels and need to take supplements. still freaking out about other things now. Ironically I work in a surgery doing admin and spent the previous 5 years on reception making those very calls to patients I would always try and give as much info as possible, asking clinicians where necessary, if patients were worried. Didn’t stop me panicking though��

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I have no idea what it is that needs to be repeated, the receptionist couldn’t discuss it with me.

Could you ask when you go for the bloods what it is they are repeating? The blood taker should know as they have to use the correct bottles and enter the details on your record xx

Thank you, that’s a good idea

Hi again everyone. Turns out my cholesterol is a bit high so I’ve got to make some lifestyle changes, cut down on animal fats and dairy and take more exercise. I’m 58 and high cholesterol runs in my family so the doctor wasn’t that surprised. All that worrying I went through too...

Thank you to everyone for all you kind words and support.

That’s good news as you can take action to help get it down. I have high triglyceride levels so am trying to get my weight down. Glad you’re getting sorted xxx

I went for a blood test as a regular check to do with being diabetic type 2 to be rang by the receptionist the next morning saying the gp requested I go back for a repeat test which was arranged in a fortnights time. When I asked her why she said it had been lost but it went from the surgery in the usual way, that was the reason. Would she just say that to appease me, whatever my HA is now working bigtime.

Thread Information