Thread: Taking Xanax/Klonopin 0.25/05mg for almost 2 months

Taking Xanax/Klonopin 0.25/05mg for almost 2 months

Am I screwed? How do I get off these? I take them before bed because I just got put on Prozac and was experiencing increased anxiety/insomnia.

Re: Taking Xanax/Klonopin 0.25/05mg for almost 2 months

Quote Originally Posted by sab5330 View Post
    Am I screwed? How do I get off these? I take them before bed because I just got put on Prozac and was experiencing increased anxiety/insomnia.
    You've been taking both at night for SSRI induced anxiety and insomnia? I don't really see that point of that, but...

No, you're not screwed and probably won't have that many problems getting of them. Try cutting back the dose by a quarter every 5-7 days.

The thing to be aware of with withdrawing from meds is that psychology is at least as important as chemistry and biology. Become convinced that you will suffer greatly and an anxious mind can be very adept at generating your worst nightmare for you. You've been on these meds for a little longer than the ideal, but you probably won't have that many issues quitting.

Thanks. I take prozac in the morning (10mg) but it’s so stimulating that I have trouble falling asleep. I tried Seroquel and hated it. It made me feel too drowsy. Xanax/Klonopin take the edge off enough for me to be able to sleep and without making me feel like crap the next morning. Ugh why do all good things have to come with the bad too :(

I take prozac in the morning (10mg) but it’s so stimulating that I have trouble falling asleep.
    How long have you been on 10mg?

I tried Seroquel and hated it. It made me feel too drowsy. Xanax/Klonopin take the edge off enough for me to be able to sleep and without making me feel like crap the next morning.
    Ask your doctor to prescribe a small dose, 12.5-75mg, of immediate-release trazodone (Desyrel) instead. Trazodone is a AD which these days is mostly prescribed in sub therapeutic doses for SSRI/SNRI induced insomnia. It becomes progressively less sedating as the dose increases so taking more than 75mg is counterproductive. It has a shorter half-life than quetiapine (Seroquel) and sedates by different receptor pathways. It usually produces few side-effects beyond the sedation.

Ugh why do all good things have to come with the bad too :(
    The Universe has a wicked sense of humour.

Thanks Panic!

I was on 10mg for close to a month and just got bumped to 20mg

My psych wrote me another two script for 0.25 Klonopin. I have a follow up in two weeks and she said she will discuss other options then including Trazadone and some other anti-psychotic aside from Seroquel.

I was on 10mg for close to a month and just got bumped to 20mg
    Good. There are potential problems with staying on ADs at sub therapeutic doses for extended periods of time.

My psych wrote me another two script for 0.25 Klonopin.
    Hmmm. If you only need it for sleep then maybe try taking Benadryl (diphenhydramine) and only half the clonazepam (Klonopin) dose to see whether it is sedating enough. Note: not all Benadryl formulations contain diphenhydramine so check the label and if you're on any other meds besides Xanax, Klonopin and Prozac check its suitability with your pharmacist.

I have a follow up in two weeks and she said she will discuss other options then including Trazadone and some other anti-psychotic aside from Seroquel.
    Wonder what the obsession with antipsychotics is.

Thread Information