Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Forgotten Public Panics

Re: Forgotten Public Panics

Quote Originally Posted by whispershadow View Post
    leaving the EU was supposed to make our economy collapse as well.Brexit's forgotten cause of the coronavirus scare.
    It does now seem like the aftermath of Brexit would have been a walk in the park compared to what's happening ATM with this CV pandemic.

I've just remembered the fuel protests of September 2000 and the sudden hatred of the Blair govt at the time. I bet most people wouldn't even have batted an eyelid over those things nowadays under the watch of BoJo and Co, even had the CV pandemic never happened.

George Carlin: Germs.

Warning: Naughty words...hey it's Carlin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X29lF43mUlo

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbear View Post
    I remember the Swine flu pandemic in 2009, the terrorist attacks on the London Underground in 2005. Also the 9/11 attacks in which I remember feeling like it was the beginning of the end of the world and I didn’t struggle much with anxiety then but I think that affected the world and how people viewed flying from then on. Even now watching any documentary or anything i can’t comprehend it. My dad was in the gulf war too and I remember that. I remember when we lived in Germany and having a constant threat of the IRA, I remember something being left underneath our car and my dad going outside to see what it was incase it was a bomb of some description. I was very young then but remember being frightened. I guess when we really think about it, there are always bad things happening and fortunately most of us come through unscathed. Like we say, the media just gets worse year on year. We didn’t have access to worldometer statistics and suchlike when swine flu was going on. If we did I didn’t know about it.
    Just imagine all the uproar had Gordon Brown and Co. imposed a lockdown during the 2009 Swine Flu pandemic, especially as the global, let alone the UK's economy, was completely up the creek when said virus first entered our shores in the late April of that year. He and the late 'New Labour' govt would have been dubbed 'fascists', and the fanatical hard-righters (especially the fledgling EDL) probably would have started riots in our major cities, which not only would have been totally pathetic in the extreme, but also a complete and utter waste of time, just like the pondlife who turned over our major cities during the disturbances of two years later.

And David Cameron, The Scum, Daily Fail, etc, would have had field days constantly screaming out 'BROKEN BRITAIN'!!

Joyriding was another fully-fledged moral panic during the late 80s and the first half of the 90s.

A real shame that from around the mid-80s onwards when car crime started to increase dramatically that a lot of the vehicle manufacturers were caught napping and failed to 'design out crime' from their vehicles.

Also thefts of car audio systems was a big thing back in the 80s and much of the 90s, but rarely ever heard of nowadays.

I know this is still fairly recent, but I remember around 2017 or so, acid attacks were quite a big thing that hardly seem to get mentioned lately. Also around the same period there was also much hysteria over moped gangs, which also appears to have died down a fair bit now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Just imagine all the uproar had Gordon Brown and Co. imposed a lockdown during the 2009 Swine Flu pandemic, especially as the global, let alone the UK's economy, was completely up the creek when said virus first entered our shores in the late April of that year. He and the late 'New Labour' govt would have been dubbed 'fascists', and the fanatical hard-righters (especially the fledgling EDL) probably would have started riots in our major cities, which not only would have been totally pathetic in the extreme, but also a complete and utter waste of time, just like the pondlife who turned over our major cities during the disturbances of two years later.

And David Cameron, The Scum, Daily Fail, etc, would have had field days constantly screaming out 'BROKEN BRITAIN'!!
    And it wouldn't be true for the reverse?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
    And it wouldn't be true for the reverse?
    And I'm sure Labour we're still getting it in the neck this time two years ago when the hysteria over our knife crime epidemic was really going into overdrive from the right-wing rags, who dubbed this country the 'Wild West of Europe', whilst ironically, there barely seemed to be a peep from Jeremy Corbyn over it at the time, who in turn was constantly getting it in the neck himself over being a commie/terrorist sympathiser and of course, an anti-Semite, in which surely MPs from the other parties (including the Tories) must also be guilty of the latter, yet there never seems to be the same outrage!!

What about the Trump Panic of 2020?

I just witnessed a severe case of TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome) about an hour ago. Off the rails. I was sitting outside at a small table with a friend chatting over coffee (both of us unmasked by the way). Across the way was a grocery store called whole foods market. Suddenly I heard some guy screaming and we looked over and a masked gentleman probably about 70 to 75 years old was right in the face of another guy screaming at him as loud as he could about I'm sick of it I'm sick of it! I wish I had the presence of mind to pick up my phone and start recording it would have been great. I asked my friend what does it say on the guys shirt? Then the guy turned and it said Trump 2020. Then the Trump guy said to the other guy you must be a Democrat because you're so violent. I started to laugh at that one. There were two security guards there just in case this thing got physical but it didn't. Then the older masked gentleman stormed off into the store completely unhinged. It went on for about 90 seconds. The Trump supporter had a bag of groceries in each hand and was on his way out of the store when the lunatic was walking in. Apparently the guy just saw the shirt and flipped out LOL. We waved the Trump guy over to us and he came over and we chatted for about 10 or 15 minutes. I said that's exactly why conservatives aren't saying much because this insane behavior is not going to sell with the American public. Why step in to try to stop it? Quite a show.

N.

Anyone remember the moral panics in the 90s over the two English cities of Manchester and Nottingham both being plagued by gun crime epidemics and their being nicknamed 'Gunchester' and 'Shottingham', respectively.

I remember Birmingham also went through a similar epidemic during the early 2000s, coming to a head around early 2003 with that notorious incident in the Aston area on New Year's Day, but strangely I don't recall it being given a firearms-themed nickname like the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Also thefts of car audio systems was a big thing back in the 80s and much of the 90s, but rarely ever heard of nowadays.
    That's because car stereos are so tightly integrated into the fabric of the car now that they're unusable outside of it, and generally unique to the vehicle.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information