Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Forgotten Public Panics

Re: Forgotten Public Panics

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    That's because car stereos are so tightly integrated into the fabric of the car now that they're unusable outside of it, and generally unique to the vehicle.
    At least that's one lasting solution that the vehicle manufacturers got right from the mid-90s onwards.

Surely most average shop-bought car audio systems intended for aftermarket installation are pretty much as cheap as chips nowadays, unlike back in the 80s and 90s when they were desirable (and more costly) 'hot products' like colour TV sets and VCRs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Anyone remember the moral panics in the 90s over the two English cities of Manchester and Nottingham both being plagued by gun crime epidemics and their being nicknamed 'Gunchester' and 'Shottingham', respectively.

I remember Birmingham also went through a similar epidemic during the early 2000s, coming to a head around early 2003 with that notorious incident in the Aston area on New Year's Day, but strangely I don't recall it being given a firearms-themed nickname like the other two.
    Wouldn't be surprised if those firearm- themed nicknames for both Manchester and Nottingham back in the day were engineered by The Scum and/or the Daily Fail, two of the main purveyors of moral panics!!

Quote Originally Posted by Panicattacka View Post
    Anyone remember living under the threat of the "4 minute warning" in the 70s and 80s? The Soviet Union could fire nukes that would hit the UK in about 4 minutes and blow us back to the stone age, with added radiation just for shits and giggles. I was a kid at the time, but it depressed the hell out of me and I used to think why bother planning for the future? We could all be dead in 4 minutes!

And then in 1989 the Warsaw Pact suddenly collapsed, and in 1991 even the USSR itself was suddenly gone. All that worrying, and for what?
    I have tended not to take much notice of all the scare panics over the years ... but I certainly remember the 4-minute warning stuff in the 1970s .. coincided with the all power cuts and remember sitting in candle light when the 'leccy came back on to a BBC report on the TV about the Russia threat. Was only about 8 years old but I remember being scared. Seem to remember that there was some threat about them also poisoning water supplies.

Mind you the 1970s were a pretty dreary and scary period in UK history which are better forgotten ... along with the dreadful fashions!

Quote Originally Posted by dorabella View Post
    I have tended not to take much notice of all the scare panics over the years ... but I certainly remember the 4-minute warning stuff in the 1970s .. coincided with the all power cuts and remember sitting in candle light when the 'leccy came back on to a BBC report on the TV about the Russia threat. Was only about 8 years old but I remember being scared. Seem to remember that there was some threat about them also poisoning water supplies.

Mind you the 1970s were a pretty dreary and scary period in UK history which are better forgotten ... along with the dreadful fashions!
    I don't think a lot of us these days especially, really know we're born, particularly when we keep belly-aching about seemingly trivial things that don't always really matter.

And this is people across all age groups and political/social spectra.

Hopefully this year's Corona pandemic might make us value and appreciate things more from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by dorabella View Post

Yesterday evening I was watching a very old episode of 'World In Action' from the early 70s (1972) on YouTube about the Angry Brigade, who were allegedly a British hard-left militant movement who had terroristic tendencies, and used to set bombs off in major cities and target high-profile figures (such as MPs), and their attacks allegedly predated the Provisional IRA's first major atrocities on the British mainland.

IMO, 'WIA' represented proper investigative journalism and was often instrumental in successfully addressing many hard-hitting issues of its time prior to its cancellation in 1998. A far cry from a lot of the dumbed down, tit-for-tat garbage that has been known to circulate online in the years ever since, often devised by keyboard warriors (and indeed fake news-mongers) with rabid agendas of their own!!

This morning I posted on one of the Covid threads about wishing social media disappeared from the face of the earth, as I believe it is largely responsible for our increasingly fearful society and kind of feeling grateful that I grew up in the 80s when all we had was news bulletins at set times throughout the day on the TV and radio, plus conventional printed newspapers that didn't rely so heavily on sensationalism and dumbing down, unlike today of course.

But on the other hand, there were some pretty ghastly things that happened during that particular decade, both within our own shores and internationally such as;

The height of the Cold War and the Able Archer incident in November 83, which allegedly brought us pretty damn close to a third world war/nuclear war.

Various (IRA) terrorist attacks (80-89).

Various inner-city riots. (80-89).

High unemployment rates (80-89)

Rising crime rates (80-89)

The miners' strike (84-early 85).

The onset of the AIDS pandemic from around 84 onwards.

The height of UK football hooliganism (80-89) and stadium fires in 85.

The Wapping dispute (86)

Chernobyl nuclear tragedy (86)

Zeebrugge ferry tragedy (87)

Hungerford massacre (87)

Onset of rave culture (late 87-88)

Lockerbie tragedy (88)

Hillsborough stadium tragedy (89)

And various others.

I really dread to think what it would have been like had the Internet, social media and even 24/7 rolling news channels been around back then, but then again VCRs were often the source of moral panics back then, especially the 'video nasties' phenomenon.

Weird year with Covid. We've missed out on many giant killer locusts or mutant rat stories. Strange considering the link to wildlife. God help anyone in China if The Daily Mail have a branch out there

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post

Anyone remember the old public safety adverts that would probably terrify many a millenial? The railway lines, electricity pilon and the knife, the man mowing over his cable (until manufacturers worked out how to prevent the worst of it by getting rid of DC current in the things), and the creepy one about kids drowning.
    I took a stroll down public safety advert lane not so long ago...

Things started 'tamely' enough with Willy Weasel sitting up in the road having been knocked down by a car. (It's ok cockers, Willy was ok, but his ice cream was a write off) then I graduated to Charlie Says and the one where the cat prevents child abduction episode, then a montage of about 50 old public safety adverts...

My eleven year old walked in during the 'death by pylon' one, and I think he's scarred for life - so he definitely isn't ready for creepy-reaper-dude who looks on (chuffed) while kids are drowning!

TV horror aside, I think that our near-nuking crisis of the 80s stays with me the most. I was terrified. Everybody was terrified. A year later, we were grooving to FGTH's Two Tribes 12" - handbags in the middle of the dancefloor and enough Shockwaves hairspray to obliterate the ozone: "We got the bomb, we got the bomb, yeeeaaaaaaahhhhh"

Speaking of Ronnie Reagan etc...

Spitting Image IS BACK on the 3rd Oct (I think?) and all the oldies are available to watch.

I, for one, can't wait to see what they've done with Boris, Camilla Parker Bowels (intentional typo) and Katie Hopkins.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    This morning I posted on one of the Covid threads about wishing social media disappeared from the face of the earth, as I believe it is largely responsible for our increasingly fearful society and kind of feeling grateful that I grew up in the 80s when all we had was news bulletins at set times throughout the day on the TV and radio, plus conventional printed newspapers that didn't rely so heavily on sensationalism and dumbing down, unlike today of course.

But on the other hand, there were some pretty ghastly things that happened during that particular decade, both within our own shores and internationally such as;

The height of the Cold War and the Able Archer incident in November 83, which allegedly brought us pretty damn close to a third world war/nuclear war.

Various (IRA) terrorist attacks (80-89).

Various inner-city riots. (80-89).

High unemployment rates (80-89)

Rising crime rates (80-89)

The miners' strike (84-early 85).

The onset of the AIDS pandemic from around 84 onwards.

The height of UK football hooliganism (80-89) and stadium fires in 85.

The Wapping dispute (86)

Chernobyl nuclear tragedy (86)

Zeebrugge ferry tragedy (87)

Hungerford massacre (87)

Onset of rave culture (late 87-88)

Lockerbie tragedy (88)

Hillsborough stadium tragedy (89)

And various others.

I really dread to think what it would have been like had the Internet, social media and even 24/7 rolling news channels been around back then, but then again VCRs were often the source of moral panics back then, especially the 'video nasties' phenomenon.
    You are so right Lenso! I was out the other day with two of my brothers just for a little BS session along the river. People had to walk between us as we talked...we don't wear masks BTW. They sat on a bench while I stood across the walking path between us (yes it was 6 feet for you covid Nazis). Some people just walked between us and said hello. But others had the look of abject terror. I mean they're insane. We would chuckle. To me the most frightening thing in this whole affair is the stunning willingness for the masses to drop their knickers and bend over for the so called government authority. It's mind boggling. Millions of people have lost their livelihoods because of these loons. And to your point Lenco... it's all been done by using fear as a weapon by the government/media complex to cull the herd.

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    You are so right Lenso! I was out the other day with two of my brothers just for a little BS session along the river. People had to walk between us as we talked...we don't wear masks BTW. They sat on a bench while I stood across the walking path between us (yes it was 6 feet for you covid Nazis). Some people just walked between us and said hello. But others had the look of abject terror. I mean they're insane. We would chuckle. To me the most frightening thing in this whole affair is the stunning willingness for the masses to drop their knickers and bend over for the so called government authority. It's mind boggling. Millions of people have lost their livelihoods because of these loons. And to your point Lenco... it's all been done by using fear as a weapon by the government/media complex to cull the herd.
    I do very much think that the media (both conventional and social) have now essentially become 'the govt' in virtually every Western country and the politicians have inadvertently lost control, no matter how good or bad they might be. The Labour and Lib Dem parties in the UK both seem to have been damaged beyond repair by the media over recent years.

Ironically both parties still fail to stick their heels in and seem to let the media get away with their BS and fake news-mongering all in the name of free expression and democracy.

As far as Covid is concerned, it's just the latest in a long line of issues causing people to turn against each other. The underlying trends of division and polarisation in societies around the world were already apparent long before the start of this year. Over the past 20 years we have had fuel protests, Foot and Mouth, 9/11, second Iraq war, Islamophobia, 'chav' culture, Global Financial Crisis, various natural disasters, racial tensions (especially in the USA), Brexit and the election of dubious politicians worldwide, you name it.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information