Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Forgotten Public Panics

Re: Forgotten Public Panics

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post

As for teenagers getting excited over a 5-pack of blank cassettes for Xmas or their birthdays, of course it would have been a bigger deal back then in the mid-80s, because it was all most kids knew at the time, coupled with the fact that the main hi-fi system in living rooms was mainly the preserve of dads, and usually out of bounds to the kids.
    Our dad had the hi-fi and it was all separate tuners, tape and record decks etc and with speakers the size of tower blocks. My old man used to place them for the 'ultimate stereo sound' - which was hilarious seeing as he was deaf in one ear!

When you think that we went from these systems that took up half the living room to walking around with a gadget the size of a large stamp with the iPod Shuffle?

Even Walkmans were much derided by older generations at the time and just like video games, then smartphones some years later, were scapegoated for corrupting kids.
    I wouldn't be without my music and ear buds.

Crikey - I remember those 5-packs of TDKs ... long since used every one up taping over again and again.

My hi-fi stack is still turntable, cassette deck, CD deck and tuner. Have replaced all components over the years, but thankfully each unit has got a little smaller and compact - especially the speakers!

Mixture of Sony, Technics and Yamaha ... costs a fortune to replace these days if you want pristine and not second hand. Wouldn't be without my stack which I have had for last 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by dorabella View Post
    Crikey - I remember those 5-packs of TDKs ... long since used every one up taping over again and again.

My hi-fi stack is still turntable, cassette deck, CD deck and tuner. Have replaced all components over the years, but thankfully each unit has got a little smaller and compact - especially the speakers!

Mixture of Sony, Technics and Yamaha ... costs a fortune to replace these days if you want pristine and not second hand. Wouldn't be without my stack which I have had for last 15 years.
    I have amplifiers connected to the internet and my Amazon playlists. We don't have room for anything else.. I also have a small record player for when I want to hear those vinyl crackles and hisses.

One of the staff at my day centre the other day told me that they remember animal rights protesters being quite a big thing back in the 80s, with fur traders and butcher's shops often being on the receiving end of attacks and threats, with the slogan 'Meat Is Murder' often being daubed on the front window panes of the latter.

Bank robberies and 'smash-and-grab' attacks on jeweller's shops were also quite big things back then, that we don't tend to hear so much about nowadays.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 22-10-21 at 18:00.

Even the petrol panic-buying thing about a month ago already seems like water under the bridge and barely mentioned anymore.

However, at the time there was a bit of a sense of 'deja vu', like it was September 2000 all over again, 21 years later!

Nevertheless, both then and now, it blatantly demonstrates the 'mug' and sheep/bandwagon-jumping mentality of much of the Great British Public!

Anyone remember all the epidemics of food poisoning incidents and their resulting big panics back in the late 80s-mid-90s era (Salmonella, BSE, etc)?

Hardly ever discussed these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Anyone remember all the epidemics of food poisoning incidents and their resulting big panics back in the late 80s-mid-90s era (Salmonella, BSE, etc)?

Hardly ever discussed these days.
    Yes, I remember that well. I was 12 years old when the BSE/CJD scare was in the news in 1996. I remember seeing catastrophic headlines saying that one scientist predicted a third of the UK population would end up dying of CJD! Thankfully that didn't happen of course, but I was so scared at the time that I gave up eating beef for several months (even though any damage would have already been done, as some of the infected meat was sold in the 80s).

I also remember another food scare in the mid 90s in which a man threatened to infect food at the main Big 4 supermarket chains with HIV unless he was paid a ransom. This also made me anxious at the time.

Growing up in the 70s I can remember bread shortages yes bread ! people were literally stripping shelves ,and a panic over sugar you at one time were lucky to get a bag after the panic buying .

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1960 View Post
    Growing up in the 70s I can remember bread shortages yes bread ! people were literally stripping shelves ,and a panic over sugar you at one time were lucky to get a bag after the panic buying .
    Some things don't change then.

But the 'Internet' of the 70s didn't really go any further than telexes, and the TV, radio, conventional printed newspapers/magazines, etc were the 'social media' of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkle1984 View Post
    Yes, I remember that well. I was 12 years old when the BSE/CJD scare was in the news in 1996. I remember seeing catastrophic headlines saying that one scientist predicted a third of the UK population would end up dying of CJD! Thankfully that didn't happen of course, but I was so scared at the time that I gave up eating beef for several months (even though any damage would have already been done, as some of the infected meat was sold in the 80s).

I also remember another food scare in the mid 90s in which a man threatened to infect food at the main Big 4 supermarket chains with HIV unless he was paid a ransom. This also made me anxious at the time.
    Just imagine how we would have coped with a global CJD 'pandemic' back in 1996, what with national lockdowns when the Internet as we know it today was still very much in 'niche'/'elitest' territory before starting to enter the mainstream around 1998-99? The economy would have been totally shafted, probably even worse than in 2020 and early 2021!

As for the HIV food infecting threats at the 'Big 4' supermarket chains back then, wasn't Bournemouth one of the main affected areas? Also that would have no doubt been declared an act of terrorism had it happened today.

Whilst I don't remember the threatened HIV poisoning events first-hand, I'm sure I read about them online years later, possibly last year or even earlier this year. I don't actually recall the mega CJD scare of 1996 first-hand either.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss, and the 90s, in spite of its respective crises, did seem like a more innocent and carefree decade at the time, though in reality, all isn't always quite what it seems, or seemed at the time.

Twas ever thus, and all that.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 12-12-21 at 17:35.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread Information