Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Forgotten Public Panics

Re: Forgotten Public Panics

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Let's not forget Y2K

Positive thoughts
    Another Armageddon that never was....

What about all those earth killer asteroids? Been a while since we had one of those threads. The media loved them but these days it's just another yawn worthy space rock passing by...

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbear View Post
    I remember the Swine flu pandemic in 2009, the terrorist attacks on the London Underground in 2005. Also the 9/11 attacks in which I remember feeling like it was the beginning of the end of the world and I didn’t struggle much with anxiety then but I think that affected the world and how people viewed flying from then on. Even now watching any documentary or anything i can’t comprehend it. My dad was in the gulf war too and I remember that. I remember when we lived in Germany and having a constant threat of the IRA, I remember something being left underneath our car and my dad going outside to see what it was incase it was a bomb of some description. I was very young then but remember being frightened. I guess when we really think about it, there are always bad things happening and fortunately most of us come through unscathed. Like we say, the media just gets worse year on year. We didn’t have access to worldometer statistics and suchlike when swine flu was going on. If we did I didn’t know about it.
    The Swine Flu pandemic of 2009 (as things stand so far) was actually far worse than the current CV. And I wasn't overly fazed by it at its peak either. Approximately 28, 456 people in total tested positive for it here in the UK and it reportedly yielded 474 fatalities here to. So far (touch wood), zero CV fatalities here.

I was probably more concerned at the time about the Credit Crunch that started towards the end of 2007 and was probably at its worst during the first half of 2009, and all the constant tales of hypothetical Armageddon-type scenarios due to it, that thankfully never materialised.

The terrorist attacks in Central London in July 2005 were pretty damn scary at the time, even though I live in leafy Staffordshire, several miles away from our Capital, but I remember being extremely freaked out by the English city riots of August 2011, even though thankfully both my town and the county of Staffordshire as a whole were completely unaffected, despite the nearby big cities of Birmingham and Wolverhampton being seriously affected. I was traumatised by said disturbances for almost a year, even though, in a physical sense, they never actually affected me directly, but most certainly did mentally and emotionally.

I also remember the big moral panic about 'chavs' from about 2003 onwards, which probably came to a head during the August 2011 riots, then said culture suddenly seemed to peter out rapidly and they (chavs) hardly ever seem to get mentioned these days. I also hate the way that certain places have been labelled 'chav towns' and the general trend of 'town-bashing' that seems to have become increasingly prevalent over the past twenty-odd years or so.

You are not wrong, Kirbear, the media do seem to get worse year on year, and sadly, they seem to be untouchable.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Let's not forget Y2K

Positive thoughts
    It actually happened...twenty years later!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...we/4419535002/

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Anyone remember the media going nuts about the flesh eating bacteria? We very rarely see a thread about it on here, in my time here anyway, but I bet the boards had their scare back then.

And the common denominator is always the media combined with anxious people or those easily led.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    My local Greggs opened 12 minutes late one Monday morning and you'd think somebody had been murdered.
    In 12 minutes I could have made and ate my own breakfast.

leaving the EU was supposed to make our economy collapse as well.Brexit's forgotten cause of the coronavirus scare.
    Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
    Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
    Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    In 12 minutes I could have made and ate my own breakfast.
    /whispers - I don't even eat breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by whispershadow View Post
    leaving the EU was supposed to make our economy collapse as well.Brexit's forgotten cause of the coronavirus scare.
    Personally (and rather ironically), I now see the Coronavirus as a kind of 'drill' for the feared worst-case scenarios concerning Brexit, though I could be talking a load of old pony, of course.

What about the major panic of 1958?

The BLOB!!!

Had the entire country in a frenzy!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information