Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Forgotten Public Panics

Re: Forgotten Public Panics

Oh, and the 2004 asteroid, Apophis... I wonder where that thing is floating now?

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    AIDS, the BIG one, killer bees, nukes, Y2K, west Nile, Ebola, swine flu, the end of the Mayan Calendar, 06/06/2006, Zika....

Damn this makes me feel old...
    In a lot of ways, despite a lot of the horrible and scary threats of the past, I'm kind of glad that I grew up during a seemingly more innocent and carefree time where we didn't have 24/7 rolling news channels, social media and generally less hysterical and sensationalist media. Oh innocence is bliss!!

Killer bees and happy slapping, how could I forget about those! And not long ago we had the creepy clowns too. I was really hoping to bump into one of them on a dark night so I could vent some stress relief on one

We had other killer species too in recent years. Giant mutant rats as well. All gone as the media have moved on to other things.

Did I mention the flesh eating bug? Like each pandemic that was constantly in the news.

Oh yeah...what happened to MRSA?

I remember the mad cow disease (BSE) scare in 1996 and it causing CJD in humans who ate infected beef. I was only 12 years old at the time and I remember being scared as I had eaten beef especially when I was younger. At the time, some people were predicting that millions of people in the UK could die of CJD (it has a 100% mortality rate, so in that respect it's scarier than coronavirus). It particularly scared me that scientists said the incubation period could be several years long, so even if you had eaten infected beef in the 80s, you could still die. In the end, only about 200 people contracted CJD and died. I remember in 1996, I was too scared to eat beef for several months, although I gradually reintroduced it into my diet!

24 years later, I am still alive! So whenever I see headlines with wild figures saying millions of people could get coronavirus in the UK, I remind myself of the mad cow disease/CJD scare. That's not to say that people shouldn't take it seriously - I am staying indoors as much as possible at the moment to help prevent the spread of coronavirus. I am still fairly young and healthy so if I caught it I would probably survive, but my parents are in their 70s and have underlying health conditions, so I definitely wouldn't want to inadvertently spread it to them.

Hi gang. Just wondering what happened to the coronavirus thread? Sorry, I've been just getting over the leave-me-alone-a-virus!

My dad (currently in a nursing home) has MRSA. He's being treated. They barely bat an eye at it in a nursing home. plus they've locked the door for two weeks because of the coronavirus so nobody can visit their loved ones. He's a tough old guy. Time will tell. I may go get tested for it myself as I was up visiting him a few days ago feeding him and rubbing his head. He has it in his eyes. That's life.

N.

Don't forget the mass panic of 1933...King Kong!

And of course the panic of 1975...JAWS! Dun Dun!

Anyone remember living under the threat of the "4 minute warning" in the 70s and 80s? The Soviet Union could fire nukes that would hit the UK in about 4 minutes and blow us back to the stone age, with added radiation just for shits and giggles. I was a kid at the time, but it depressed the hell out of me and I used to think why bother planning for the future? We could all be dead in 4 minutes!

And then in 1989 the Warsaw Pact suddenly collapsed, and in 1991 even the USSR itself was suddenly gone. All that worrying, and for what?

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    My dad (currently in a nursing home) has MRSA. He's being treated. They barely bat an eye at it in a nursing home. plus they've locked the door for two weeks because of the coronavirus so nobody can visit their loved ones. He's a tough old guy. Time will tell. I may go get tested for it myself as I was up visiting him a few days ago feeding him and rubbing his head. He has it in his eyes. That's life.

N.
    That's another 'crisis' that barely seems to get mentioned in this country anymore. During the first half of the 2000s the Daily Fail, etc were constantly spewing out OTT scaremongering stories about the MRSA bug plaguing NHS hospitals, etc, and remember it blatantly used as a political weapon to bash Blair and Co with during the run up to the 2005 General Election, then strangely, a lot of the hysteria surrounding MRSA was pretty much gone from about 2006 onwards, despite New Labour still remaining in power for another four years!

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information