Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Forgotten Public Panics

Re: Forgotten Public Panics

Today whilst out walking the dog I was having flashbacks to March 2018 when we were in the grip of the 'Beast from the East', plus the Skipral poisoning incident in Salisbury and all the frenzied hysteria and constant talk of imminent Armageddon that ensued in the media.

Although pretty damn scary and unsettling at the time, the consequential lockdowns of the affected areas of Salisbury following said incident turned out to be a mere walk in the park compared to the whole of this country going into full-on lockdown just over two years later, let alone the 'whole' of Salisbury this time!

Though not necessarily a 'panic' as such, I never forget that loudmouth bloke who was forever yelling 'STOP BREXIT!' outside Parliament during the last few months of that same year (2018), who seemed to had disappeared by the time of last December's GE. Why the hell did the BBC, ITN, etc have to interview MPs and the like in the street outside the HOP with all that constant wretched background racket infiltrating said interviews, which I personally found extremely distracting. Surely there must be special private rooms inside the Commons and Lords for interviewing MPs. Also it poses a security hazard, especially in this current climate of terrorism paranoia!
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 27-12-20 at 20:03.

I've just remembered another couple of panics from a few years ago.

The Creepy Clown thing during the autumn of 2016, which had mostly petered out already by the December of that year, almost as quickly as it first kicked off.

Acid attacks and robbers on mopeds were a big deal around 2016-18. Also seem to have received less media attention post-2018.

KFC running out of chicken at the start of 2018. I remember people almost crying etc at this..... Sados!

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post

The Creepy Clown thing during the autumn of 2016, which had mostly petered out already by the December of that year, almost as quickly as it first kicked off.
    If that clown thing kicks off again, I'm getting myself a massive hound and a clown squeaker toy. Clowns aint so scary when they're running off clutching their crown jewels.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    If that clown thing kicks off again, I'm getting myself a massive hound and a clown squeaker toy. Clowns aint so scary when they're running off clutching their crown jewels.
    Personally I don't think it would have quite the same impact as before, it would just be another bore-fest.

Unless it became something like creepy/killer cats where nutjobs go around dressed in Pink Panther outfits, or creepy/killer bears dressed in Bungle outfits threatening and putting the boot into random strangers, which I hope I won't unwittingly be responsible for planting such a seed, especially as I don't want those much-loved characters from childhood to be tarnished, let alone all the associated madness involved!

Talking of childhood TV favourites, I'm relieved that so far Geoffrey Hayes (Rainbow, who sadly passed away in 2018), Matt Corbett (Sooty Show), plus the main hosts of the BBC's schools series 'Look And Read' (and each series' respective cast members) all seem to be off the Operation Yewtree radar.

It would really pain me to see all those great childhood treasures suddenly being banned.

Talking of childhood TV favourites, I'm relieved that so far Geoffrey Hayes (Rainbow, who sadly passed away in 2018), Matt Corbett (Sooty Show), plus the main hosts of the BBC's schools series 'Look And Read' (and each series' respective cast members) all seem to be off the Operation Yewtree radar.

It would really pain me to see all those great childhood treasures suddenly being banned.
    My seven year old got into the Sooty Show a couple of years ago.
    I'ts now done by a guy called Richard Cadell, he's pretty good at it.
    He went to see him live a couple of times and still has a signed poster up in his bedroom, bless him.
    Anyway, it involved watching old (Matthew Corbett) and new episodes over again and brought back great memories.

Unless it became something like creepy/killer cats where nutjobs go around dressed in Pink Panther outfits, or creepy/killer bears dressed in Bungle outfits threatening and putting the boot into random strangers
    I could never take someone dressed up as Bungle seriously Len.

Zippy has potential though because there was always something sinister about that dude, and I reckon George - with his mesmerising eyelashes and dozy outlook on life- was harbouring thoughts about beating the crap out of Zippy. I felt that way, and I was only 5.

which I hope I won't unwittingly be responsible for planting such a seed, especially as I don't want those much-loved characters from childhood to be tarnished, let alone all the associated madness involved!
    *off to buy a Grotbags outfit to put the shits up the local brats*

Geoffrey had a very kind face and was very aggregable while I was eating my spaghetti hoops, whereas 'Uncle' Jimmy Jangles (Savile) made my tummy lurch. If 'pervert' has a 'look' - it was him.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Geoffrey had a very kind face and was very aggregable while I was eating my spaghetti hoops, whereas 'Uncle' Jimmy Jangles (Savile) made my tummy lurch. If 'pervert' has a 'look' - it was him.
    Have you seen the naughty Rainbow episode online?

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information