Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I be worried about 5 year old’s fevers?

Should I be worried about 5 year old’s fevers?

Hey you guys

Hope everyone is well. My almost 5 year old has been getting sick really often this year! He had the stomach flu with a fever a month ago (his sis had it too), then he had strep throat with fever two weeks ago then just last night I went to go check on him he was burning up again and he had a 101 fever. I checked on him this morning and he was okay. But why is this happening to him? Is it just a weak immune system?

He had something similar over the summer and I took him to the ER, they checked his bloods and all was fine. But now I’m worried again :(

Re: Should I be worried about 5 year old’s fevers?

Quote Originally Posted by katniss View Post
    Hey you guys

Hope everyone is well. My almost 5 year old has been getting sick really often this year! He had the stomach flu with a fever a month ago (his sis had it too), then he had strep throat with fever two weeks ago then just last night I went to go check on him he was burning up again and he had a 101 fever. I checked on him this morning and he was okay. But why is this happening to him? Is it just a weak immune system?

He had something similar over the summer and I took him to the ER, they checked his bloods and all was fine. But now I’m worried again :(
    I think it’s just winter. There were 9 kids off in one day in my 6yo’s class 2 weeks ago. My daughter was one of them!

It’s worrying and annoying, but take your cues from your child and how they are behaving.

So that was March 3rd and now on March 16th he got sick AGAIN! Fever with a sore throat and nasal congestion. He went to school Friday so maybe he picked up something because Monday night he was burning up with a fever again. He usually recovers fast but this time he has had a fever since yesterday. Should I be worried? He seems well in between episodes. My heart just hurts with all this worrying. I love him so much. Could something be seriously wrong? Or is he just one of those kids that gets sick easily?

Kids get fevers. They get sick a lot. If it gets too high, over 102F, then take him in. Otherwise, lots of fluids, bed rest, foods easy on the stomach. Give meds recommended by the pediatrician to help with the symptoms.

Really? Every 14 days though? This is the fourth time in two months. Is there anyone with a similar experience? Please please respond if you have been through something similar and it has been okay. I’m so worried :( Any advice or experiences

Yes, we went through this with my niece and it turns out she had a food allergy.

Has he just started in reception?
    I remember once being told to wait until after Easter, as that’s when a lot of the bugs go.
    I mean, not this year because everything is crazy, but ‘normally’.

Is reception the same thing as kindergarten? If so, then yes. He started in September. He also doesn’t touch fruits or veggies so his eating habits are very poor, which I’m sure contributes to a weak immune system. He is getting better now, thank God. I have ordered some immunity boosting gummies for him and have thrown out all sugar in the house. From now on he will be eating unprocessed food as much as possible

Thrown out all sugar during a world crisis? You are brave!
    Yes kindergarten and reception are the same. It’s so common for them to get lots of bugs. Plus he seems to be fighting them off quite quickly.
    I bought probiotics too, the chocolate ball ones. Not sure if they help, but I wanted her to have a healthy gut.

To be honest I had only two choc chip cookies and 3 Kool Aid pouches. So it wasn’t much. We still have lollies and ice creams in the deep freezer downstairs that he doesn’t have access too.

I spoke to doc and she said she isn’t worried at this point but to bring him in if fever continues or I notice other symptoms . So I’m staying calm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information