Thread: Buspirone + Lexapro

Buspirone + Lexapro

Just wondering if anyone had had this combination? Saw a new practitioner today and he prescribed the Buspirone as I’ve been somewhat unhappy with the lexapro but he said to continue the lexapro for now as well.

Nervous about Seratonin syndrome 😬

Re: Buspirone + Lexapro

I have taken both at the same time before. I don’t think you need to worry about serotonin syndrome because Buspar is not an SSRI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Buspirone + Lexapro

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    Just wondering if anyone had had this combination? Saw a new practitioner today and he prescribed the Buspirone as I’ve been somewhat unhappy with the lexapro but he said to continue the lexapro for now as well.
    Buspirone is a GAD specific med which works well for some, but not at all for many. However, when taken with serotonergic ADs it can increase their effectiveness and will sometimes reinvigorate those that have pooped-out so there is a good chance that it may overcome the issues you're having with escitalopram. It may also reduce some SSRI side-effects, including sexual dysfunction.

Nervous about Seratonin syndrome 😬
    SSRIs + buspirone is not a rare combination and not a problem despite what drug interaction sites claim. To quote one of the two leading serotonin syndrome (SS) experts, Dr Ken Gillman, who used to spend a great deal of his time trying to correct such misinformation from even the WHO, FDA and MHRA until it became clear that he was just beating his head against the brick wall of bureaucratic intransigence:

Buspirone is a 5‐HT1A partial agonist thought to act mainly via post‐synaptic 1A receptors, and is thus a weakly serotonergic drug. There is no good evidence it precipitates SS despite years of coadministration with SSRIs and MAOIs. Both pre‐ and post‐synaptic 1A receptors mediate hypothermia, and the animal “5‐HT syndrome” (which does not involve hyperthermia) that these receptors mediate is quite different from human SS. Case reports involving buspirone are unconvincing case reports (discussed in the study by Gillman14 adequately accounted for by the actions of other coingested serotonergic drugs).

Gillman PK. Triptans, Serotonin Agonists, and Serotonin Syndrome (Serotonin Toxicity): A Review, Headache. 2010 Feb;50(2):264-72

Thread Information