Thread: Neurontin/gabapentin side effects?

Neurontin/gabapentin side effects?

Hi! I started taking gabapentin 200mg at night for hypnic jerks/insomnia and it has worked great. In fact, I slept all night for the first time in 20 months. I've noticed this week though that I have been having crazy mood swings, I get so upset so easily, or really energized. The only thing I can think of that could have caused this is the medication, but I don't know. Has anyone else experienced mood swings as a side effect of this drug? Is it even a possible side effect?

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Neurontin/gabapentin side effects?

200mg is classed as a low dose but, to answer your question, I do think it can affect mood in some people. It is well documented that high doses are often abused (along with Pregabalin) and can produce a "hangover" effect, much like alcohol.

Do you also suffer with a mood disorder, and if so, what treatment have you had?

Never Surrender, Comrade

Quote Originally Posted by Rennles View Post
    Has anyone else experienced mood swings as a side effect of this drug? Is it even a possible side effect?
    "Rapidly changing moods", particularly in children, and "depression, irritability, or other mood or mental changes" are listed side-effects.

Switching to the newer pregabalin (Lyrica) developed by the same company might resolve it.

Wow, ok, that explains it then! Thank you both so much. I'll definitely be bringing it up to my psychiatrist, my poor husband is suffering the most I think 😂

I do have a history of erratic moods, possibly BPD, but this is on another level. It's like I'm on top of the world, and then it's like my soul has been sucked out and I can't imagine ever being happy again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennles View Post
    my poor husband is suffering the most I think 😂
    Well, he did sign up for the "sickness and in health" bit, so...

I do have a history of erratic moods, possibly BPD, but this is on another level. It's like I'm on top of the world, and then it's like my soul has been sucked out and I can't imagine ever being happy again.
    You will almost certainly be happy again. Many of us shirt back and forth across the razor edge separating sheer joy from abject despair at times. This too will pass. It always does.

Thread Information