Thread: Sertraline - in two minds

Sertraline - in two minds

I was prescribed sertraline 50mg yesterday because my anxiety has gotten out of hand to the point where I’ve not been in work this last week.
    I did take one yesterday morning and I’m not sure if it was just placebo or not but I felt calmer but sleepy. However I woke up very early this morning and was instantly back to panicking/bad thoughts etc. I’ve been reading reviews on it and it seems hit and miss..
    I work as cabin crew and I’m afraid to take tablets incase they mess with my mind too much. it concerns me because I’m always in different time zones and also working many night shifts. I always wanted to go down the more natural way with herbal remedies etc but I’m not sure they work.
    I just feel stuck. I haven’t taken my second one today. I’m not sure I want to get into medication because at some point I’ll probably have to come off it. I’ve had cbt last year- most of my anxiety is Health related but I also worry about many other non health related things.

Re: Sertraline - in two minds

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca10 View Post
    I was prescribed sertraline 50mg yesterday because my anxiety has gotten out of hand to the point where I’ve not been in work this last week.
    I did take one yesterday morning and I’m not sure if it was just placebo or not but I felt calmer but sleepy. However I woke up very early this morning and was instantly back to panicking/bad thoughts etc.
    Antidepressants have no direct affect on anxiety/depression in the way, say, aspirin eases a headache within an hour of taking it. They work by stimulating the growth of new brain cells (neurogenesis) to replace cells killed, or prevented from growing by high brain stress hormone levels. The therapeutic response is produced by these new cells and the stronger interconnections they forge, not the meds directly, and they take time to bud, grow and mature. For a more detailed explanations see: Depression and the Birth and Death of Brain Cells (PDF) and How antidepressant drugs act.

I’ve been reading reviews on it and it seems hit and miss..
    There is no way of predicting whether sertraline will work for you, but the odds are pretty good.

I work as cabin crew and I’m afraid to take tablets incase they mess with my mind too much. it concerns me because I’m always in different time zones and also working many night shifts.
    ADs may produce some side-effects at the beginning, but they shouldn't "mess with your mind." To reduce the severity of any side-effects I suggest you only take 25mg for the first 7-10 days. You should okay that with the prescribing doctor first. The other issue you may face with changing time zones is taking it regularly about 24 hours apart. That is important.

I always wanted to go down the more natural way with herbal remedies etc but I’m not sure they work.
    They may have a positive impact on very mild anxiety/depression, but are unlikely to help once anxiety becomes so severe it prevents you from working.

I’m not sure I want to get into medication because at some point I’ll probably have to come off it. I’ve had cbt last year- most of my anxiety is Health related but I also worry about many other non health related things.
    Most treatment protocols recommend ADs be taken for 12 months and then slowly weaned off. If anxiety/depression returns then take them for 2-3 years. If it reoccurs a third time then there is no reason you couldn't take an AD permanently. I've been on them pretty much continually since early 1987. My brain hasn't turned to mush yet...

Panic down under - Thank you for taking the time to give such a detailed response.

I think you’re right about starting on 25mg instead of 50 to begin with as I had some side effects when I took the first one and I’m worried as I have to go back to work later this week.

Yes that’s the thing that concerns me about constantly being in different time zones - for example if I was in California that’s 8hrs behind the UK so I’d be having to wake myself up at around 2am to take the tablet as I would normally take it around 10am UK time although I guess I could always move the time I take it in the UK forward..

Anyway thanks again for your reply and answering the questions I had 😃

I take my meds with breakfast.
    Never on an empty stomach.
    Works well for me.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca10 View Post
    Yes that’s the thing that concerns me about constantly being in different time zones - for example if I was in California that’s 8hrs behind the UK so I’d be having to wake myself up at around 2am to take the tablet as I would normally take it around 10am UK time although I guess I could always move the time I take it in the UK forward..
    It doesn't matter what time of day you take sertraline, so try and pick a time when you would normally be awake in all the time zones you regularly fly too if possible. Maybe also buy a small alarm clock, or watch kept on UK time to remind you when to take the med.

I have been on sertraline 50mg for about six weeks now. It is the first antidepressant I have tried. I have had generalised/social anxiety for many years and have always just 'dealt with it' and somehow managed to get through situations either by forcing myself to face them or by avoiding completely. I have always been reluctant to try medication but recently I had a complete meltdown and realised that actually I do need a bit of a helping hand. Like you I work shifts which includes a mixture of days and nights and have also been concerned with how the medication would affect me, especially the side effects (particularly drowsiness) but actually it has been OK. I take it first thing in the morning with breakfast regardless of whether I am on days or nights. I get really strange dreams/nightmares but I have never struggled to sleep with sertraline. As long as you take them once per day, every 24 hours you should be fine.

I really recommend sertraline. I really do believe it helps. I was sceptical before. The thing in my opinion about any anti depression tablets is they are part of a multidisciplinary approach which includes therapy, cutting down on alcohol and trying to avoid stressful situations and many other things that can help.

But to sum things up there no silver bullet were anxiety/depression is concerned. There are many tools which act as a kind of synergy to help pull your through this stressful period of your life

Quote Originally Posted by HannWithTwoNs View Post
    I get really strange dreams/nightmares but I have never struggled to sleep with sertraline.
    Vivid dreams are fairly common. I think they are no different to what we normally dream with ADs lowering the depth of the dreaming state so they bleed into conscious awareness more readily.

Quote Originally Posted by stars1976 View Post
    cutting down on alcohol
    Regular consumption should be avoided, especially when first taking ADs. The problem is alcohol blocks neurogenesis, the mechanism by which ADs produce the therapeutic response. Even moderate drinking can reduce hippocampus neurogenesis by nearly half (see also: Morris SA, 2010; Crews FT, 2003)

The occasional drink or two once stabilized on an AD probably won't hurt, but drinking regularly probably will.

Thread Information