Thread: Can you get an Amoeba from breathing dirt while gardening?

Can you get an Amoeba from breathing dirt while gardening?

Hello Everyone,

I know very well about the BEA in water and to safeguard when swimming in freshwater/ doing the Neti pot- but I have one more concern that I can’t seem to find the answer to anywhere...except
    A small part of the cdc website that said it’s in soil too.

I garden a ton, and just a few days ago picked a strawberry and went to smell it to see if it was sweet. The soil it was sitting on was somewhat damp as I watered earlier that day. Instantly once I inhaled I smelled soil- that evening and the whole next day I felt a constant tickle in my nose... for about 15 hours then all of a sudden it just went away... aside from my normal post nasal drip I feel fine...

My question is- can bea be contracted this way? Through stirring up dust/ accidentally breathing it in.. etc? I try to wear a mask but seems like stuff still gets through...plus they are very uncomfortable for hours on end.

I know millions of people garden- wouldn’t you hear of more cases?

Re: Can you get an Amoeba from breathing dirt while gardening?

I'm going to counter with a question.

If this was a way to get a BEA, wouldn't construction workers be in the news on a regular basis with BEAs?

When it happens via water, it gets widely reported. I've never heard of it happening in any other way.

Yes I have thought of this too...now my nose has just been running all day... I hope allergies...

My nose has been running for three days, sinus pains, blocked and coughing from allergies, and I have been gardening everyday for a few days ! Dust and pollen - why look any further to something so bizarrely off the wall ?!

Quote Originally Posted by golddustgirl1000 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I know very well about the BEA in water and to safeguard when swimming in freshwater/ doing the Neti pot- but I have one more concern that I can’t seem to find the answer to anywhere...except
    A small part of the cdc website that said it’s in soil too.

I garden a ton, and just a few days ago picked a strawberry and went to smell it to see if it was sweet. The soil it was sitting on was somewhat damp as I watered earlier that day. Instantly once I inhaled I smelled soil- that evening and the whole next day I felt a constant tickle in my nose... for about 15 hours then all of a sudden it just went away... aside from my normal post nasal drip I feel fine...

My question is- can bea be contracted this way? Through stirring up dust/ accidentally breathing it in.. etc? I try to wear a mask but seems like stuff still gets through...plus they are very uncomfortable for hours on end.

I know millions of people garden- wouldn’t you hear of more cases?
    Short answer: no. Long answer: unless you eat a ton of of soil, also no.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Iwant2bhealthy View Post
    Short answer: no. Long answer: unless you eat a ton of of soil, also no.
    There actually is no 'long answer'. All that would happen is you'd probably get sick from eating dirt! This is not a possibility.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    There actually is no 'long answer'. All that would happen is you'd probably get sick from eating dirt! This is not a possibility.

Positive thoughts
    Indeed. You would get sick from the dirt before you'd catch anything. :-)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    My nose has been running for three days, sinus pains, blocked and coughing from allergies, and I have been gardening everyday for a few days ! Dust and pollen - why look any further to something so bizarrely off the wall ?!
    Thanks... yeah my ear is all clogged and I’m feeling dizzy- thats what always happens with my sinuses :/ idk it’s just something I’ve always wondered... and I’ve heard of few stories of legionarres happening from people breathing in misters at Disneyland . I know when your pregnant you should be careful cleaning out litter box/ gardening cause of diseases... so I guess I just thought that you could inhale stuff.

My dad was a landscape gardener most of his life and I've never heard of this issue. I had never heard of the amoeba either until I joined here.

He has talking to me through the years about his health & safety requirements and the certs he had to keep up to date and never mentioned the amoeba so without looking this up specifically I suspect it's either not possible or so rare to not be concerned.

Thread Information