Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone ever had a false premonition?

Re: Has anyone ever had a false premonition?

Quote Originally Posted by kraby1 View Post
    I honestly don't believe in premonitions.
    So why are you asking silly questions then?

BlueIris is 100% correct in suggesting that pursuing the irrational checking is just validating the anxiety.

If you don't believe in premonitions, there's no need to check.

And if you die before 2024 you won't need to worry about it any more anyway. Coincidence will have kicked in.

I honestly don't know how to respond. On one hand I believe that you are right, by checking it does make it more powerful, but on the other hand if there are people who had a similar story and lived past their premonition, I'd like to use it as a way of proving to my anxious brain that it won't happen the next time it pops into my head. Does that make any sense? The other people's stories would be a tool so that I can convey my anxious brain to stop checking.

Anxiety is very isolating and also confusing so it's ok to understand something is within it's spectrum by reading about it or consulting others. However, when you find yourself wanting more & more people to back this up what you are actually doing is reasurance-seeking which is a negative behaviour.

Challenging thoughts is fine though which they would do in CBT with a specific exercise for things which come under Magical Thinking. For instance, you may be asked to think something to try to make it come true and then observe how it doesn't. This type of experiment shows you that you cannot influence the physical world by way of your thoughts because it also requires actions to change things.

So, forget this thought and tell us about all the other thoughts that never come true. Your mind wil have discounted these, proof you cannot influence the real world, in favour of a thought that is evoking fear.

Challenging thoughts is fine though which they would do in CBT with a specific exercise for things which come under Magical Thinking. For instance, you may be asked to think something to try to make it come true and then observe how it doesn't. This type of experiment shows you that you cannot influence the physical world by way of your thoughts because it also requires actions to change things. [/QUOTE]

As a matter of fact I was planning on doing exactly that. I'm challenging my magical thinking by proving it wrong. I believe that I have had premonitions in the past that didn't come true, I just cannot remember them. That's why I'm asking for help.

I want to make an update so I can reassure people that premonitions are not real. Ever since I made this post I've had a number of deja vu experiences and with each one I've had a "premonition" of something to happen. Sometimes they DID happen, sometimes they DIDN'T happen. This is great news because it really gives me a good insight on how our future is not set and stone. Premonitions are not real. Nobody can predict the future. I did countless research on the topic of fortune telling and premonition. All of them point out that if someone "predicts" the future, it CAN happen. But most of the time it's either completely wrong or just a really lucky/probable guess. If you have any questions, send me an email. I'll probably still be alive in 2024. But for now, let's just enjoy today.

I have assumed I’m going to die in various mundane and outstanding ways yes, I don’t suppose I’m dead yet, I am going to die probably in a mundane way but there’s a possibility it’ll be spectacular. I don’t care either way as long as it’s not for a while. It’s not unusual to believe you’re a dead man or woman walking when you wake up, especially with ramped up anxiety levels.
    ''...an utter depression of soul which I can compare to no earthly sensation more properly than to the after-dream of the reveller upon opium - the bitter lapse into everyday life, the hideous dropping off of the veil. There was an iciness, a sinking, a sickening of the heart, an unredeemed dreariness of thought which no goading of the imagination could torture into aught of the sublime.''

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information