Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Misinformation and fake news

Re: Misinformation and fake news

Lol, so-called "fake news" has been around since Ug told the others round the camp fire that they needed to go and attack that other bunch of cave dwellers in the next valley because he'd heard they were planning to attack them. Do people think this all started with Trump in 2016? I suspect we've been doing it since we developed the power of speech.

I'm now kind of wondering if all the recent speculation about Putin being ill with cancer and his days supposedly being numbered is a hoax, as he still seems to be bluffing like mad that there's plenty more to come in the Ukraine crisis, according to various random news articles that pop up on the newsfeed on the Microsoft Edge homepage on my dad's laptop.

Conversely, another article that popped up on there a few days ago said that Russia is at war with the UK, which I think is total BS as so far there's been no reports nor any evidence of any bombs going off nor anything else mega untoward happening in this country. Clearly it's some 'know-it-all' on a wind-up somewhere and in pursuit of their fifteen minutes of fame who is also desperate to say 'I told you so'! Plus the BBC, Sky, etc would no doubt be discussing it non-stop day in day out if it was genuinely true, which there's still no signs of as yet.

I think it's about time fake news-mongers of this nature (especially in the case of the second paragraph above) and serial extremist conspiracy theorists are severely clamped down on hard by the authorities, but then again those spewing out such blatant BS will no doubt be screaming 'censorship', denial of free speech, and 'playing the victim'.

The authorities are probably the ones spreading a lot of the fake news.

Main stream media here in the UK is the source of fake news and propaganda. I'm confident all countries employ the use of propaganda through the media. That's why I don't watch it.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Main stream media here in the UK is the source of fake news and propaganda. I'm confident all countries employ the use of propaganda through the media. That's why I don't watch it.
    Especially those that constantly pander to the serial conspiracy theorists, in particular if they might sense a 'nice little earner' coming their way!

Plus they've been getting away with misusing their freedom of expression for far too many years now. Often 'the boy who cried wolf', and all that.

One of these days (heaven forbid) if there's a genuine emergency situation, some will still likely be writing it off as 'propaganda', 'scaremongering', 'fake news', etc. They already did it to a certain extent during the onset of the Covid pandemic in early 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Yes but you google other toxic stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I presume you're referring to WIC Pulisa.

If there is an issue I'm concerned about, I only try to use reputable, well-trusted sources to seek reassurance.

I'm just totally annoyed with the way that certain sites (e.g, Microsoft Edge) seem to have a digestive newsfeed as default on their homepage that beam random articles from random sources straight into our faces. While my dad doesn't appear to have any issue with it on his laptop, I feel that he has himself been misled by certain stories, especially the ones about Putin rumoured to be dying of cancer, which the BBC and Sky have both seemingly kept schtum about so far (if at all true), which is why I've so far viewed said speculation as dubious, as all the photographic images I've seen of Putin over recent days where he's been spewing out his endless propaganda, he looks as right as ninepence and nowhere near his death bed. Nor are there currently any signs of any actual war in the UK as yet, despite one article claiming a few days ago that Russia were at war with us (could have been the Daily Express, who I think were conversely the ones telling us a week or two earlier that Putin was cancer-ridden on his death bed).

Over the past decade or so that poxy rag (Daily Express) has been putting the fear of God into us about an imminent World War Three, whether due to ISIS with their terror campaign and the situation in Syria, or North Korea, Iran, Iraq, Turkey, Putin, Trump, you name it/them, and so far (thank God) none have come to pass. A typical 'cry wolf', or to be more precise, 'cry war' situation! I just wish they would give it a rest until any such threat (heaven forbid) is surely proven.

Why get annoyed with the tabloid press, Lenco? Is it worth it? Best not to engage with it in any way if you are looking for serious news content?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    When it concerns my health of course, you'd be daft not to do some research.

There's a for, and against, with everything. You weight up the information, weight up the sources, and make an informed decision. We all make different decisions and choices for various reasons, and usually based on the information we have at hand. There really is no right and wrong, unless of course your decisions harm others, or commit haram.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

You have to be very careful "researching" if you have HA.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information