Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Misinformation and fake news

Re: Misinformation and fake news

[QUOTE=Pamplemousse;1933713]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post

'Coronavirus' isn't a buzzword - it's a description of the form of the virus itself, 'corona' being a word for 'crown' which describes the spiky bits on the virus structure.

'Brexit' is another journalist's portmanteau word designed to stick in people's heads, which it did very well indeed.
    I think Tezza is trying to be funny Madame Grapefruit lol

I heard yous Brits had some paper what was all fake news. But I guess folk knew it was all fake.

[QUOTE=Pamplemousse;1933713]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post

'Coronavirus' isn't a buzzword - it's a description of the form of the virus itself, 'corona' being a word for 'crown' which describes the spiky bits on the virus structure.

'Brexit' is another journalist's portmanteau word designed to stick in people's heads, which it did very well indeed.
    Yeah, we all need some brain bleach to get it out of our heads!

[QUOTE=lebonvin;1933764]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post

I think Tezza is trying to be funny Madame Grapefruit lol

I heard yous Brits had some paper what was all fake news. But I guess folk knew it was all fake.
    Would that be The Sunday Sport? Always good for a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    They all suck. All pushing one agenda or another. Where can you actually get trusted information in today's golden information age?
    Exactly, there isn't one. We relied on the BBC to be as unbiased as possible but they were always the establishment outlet with their old boy links.

I read any paper and get a range of views to make my mind up. They all have their 'Sir Royston' to answer to.

The news has always been fake to an extent because everyone has an agenda. But, it got worse with the 24 hour news cycle proliferated by cable news and worse still with social media. Dan Rather had to resign back in 2004 after defending those fake military documents about Bush, remember?

Misinformation has been around for centuries. It's why libel is outlined in the Bill of Rights in the USA.

Here's an interesting article that discusses comparisons from colonial America (sorry Brit friends) to today's world.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ews-180968945/

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I have had my suspicions about 'fake news' for at least 15 years now.

I often used to wonder prior to about 2016 (when FN was finally acknowledged), 'why do the press get away with it?' and 'why haven't the authorities ever attempted to sanction the offending publications/websites', etc for indulging in such practices, but many people I know (or knew back then) just seemed to play the 'freedom of expression' and 'human rights' cards.

Personally, I don't understand the whole relatively new concept of 'Fake News'. As far as I am concerned, news has always been fake to an extent and nothing can wholeheartedly be believed in the papers or on TV/the internet as being the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so why the big deal about it?

I don't believe anything. I read it and think what I think about it, I suspect like most people. The media LOVE drama. they are bound to big things up that don't necessitate it just to sell it to the public. At the moment, that appears to be nothing positive at all. Yes, things are bad right now, but to be constantly having that shoved down out throats is not helping the panic that is going on. Some balance is desperately required.

Whoa, debs is back!!! How are you?

Yes, I agree with you. So much is speculation and I've always regarded that as part of fake news.

I'm ok, thanks Terry.

I've been off NMP for a while as my anxiety has been a bit iffy and I find I'm not much use to anyone when I'm like that! I hope you are well and doing ok

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information