Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Misinformation and fake news

Re: Misinformation and fake news

Agreed, Pulisa.

Life's too short to waste it reading things that scare or annoy us.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    You have to be very careful "researching" if you have HA.
    Researching a health anxiety issue is completely different to reading a journal paper on the observed effects of the AstraZeneca vaccine.

Like I said in the other post, I know how to research from when I was at university. Many people don't. Attempting to make me look the fool because I disagree with some of your views is very unfair.

Can we please quit it now?

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    You have to be very careful "researching" if you have HA.
    Agree 110%

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

In an attempt to not waste no more time, and inspired by the discussion with Pulisa I have a solution

sticky.jpg
    Last edited by WiredIncorrectly; 16-01-23 at 01:04.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    In an attempt to not waste no more time, and inspired by the discussion with Pulisa I have a solution

sticky.jpg
    Wishing you the best of luck, James.

But the point still remains that the media in general have certainly had (and still do have) a lot to answer for over the past 10-20 years in terms of sometimes instilling unnecessary fear and paranoia into us, sometimes to the point where certain individuals have become too scared to leave their homes.

Let's face it, some of the big 'panics' over the past 20 years or so (justified or not) have been;

Islamic State terrorism, firstly with al-Queda post-9/11 then ISIS from around 2013-14 onwards).

'Ch@v' culture, ASB and out-of-control-kids.

Binge drinking.

Paedogeddon.

Gun/knife crime.

The late 2000s Global Financial Crisis.

Far-right extremism (EDL, Britain First, etc).

Brexit.

Episodes of extreme weather conditions (floods, heatwaves, gale-force winds, Beasts from the East, etc).

Trump, Putin, North Korea, etc.

Diseases/Viruses (Bird Flu, Swine Flu, Norovirus, Ebola, Covid-19, M-Pox, Strep A, etc).

Don't get me wrong; almost all of the above were (and still are) legitimate fears and concerns, but IMO are sometimes starting to feel a bit Orwellian when they're constantly beamed into our faces and we inadvertently become far too hypervigilant in terms of habitually anticipating untoward happenings, sometimes unnecessarily, which then often devalues the 'genuine' risks/threats should they arise.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Wishing you the best of luck, James.

But the point still remains that the media in general have certainly had (and still do have) a lot to answer for over the past 10-20 years in terms of sometimes instilling unnecessary fear and paranoia into us, sometimes to the point where certain individuals have become too scared to leave their homes.

Let's face it, some of the big 'panics' over the past 20 years or so (justified or not) have been;

Islamic State terrorism, firstly with al-Queda post-9/11 then ISIS from around 2013-14 onwards).

'Ch@v' culture, ASB and out-of-control-kids.

Binge drinking.

Paedogeddon.

Gun/knife crime.

The late 2000s Global Financial Crisis.

Far-right extremism (EDL, Britain First, etc).

Brexit.

Episodes of extreme weather conditions (floods, heatwaves, gale-force winds, Beasts from the East, etc).

Trump, Putin, North Korea, etc.

Diseases/Viruses (Bird Flu, Swine Flu, Norovirus, Ebola, Covid-19, M-Pox, Strep A, etc).

Don't get me wrong; almost all of the above were (and still are) legitimate fears and concerns, but IMO are sometimes starting to feel a bit Orwellian when they're constantly beamed into our faces and we inadvertently become far too hypervigilant in terms of habitually anticipating untoward happenings, sometimes unnecessarily, which then often devalues the 'genuine' risks/threats should they arise.
    I'm in a agreement with you Lenco. In a way it's kind of like picking your battles. The media can be a battle sometimes, especially with the scaremongering during COVID. The points you make are very valid.

☪️️

I'm in a agreement with you Lenco. In a way it's kind of like picking your battles. The media can be a battle sometimes, especially with the scaremongering during COVID. The points you make are very valid.
    The other thing is, even though a lot of them never actually go away completely, the media have a bit of a tendency to keep regurgitating some of those issues I covered above every now and then, which I believe can sometimes lead to so-called 'self-fulfilling prophecies', often accompanied by 'moral panics' and the like repeating themselves, then dying down once the media have moved onto the next big 'panic' issue, which may be either a 'fresh' or 'recurrent' issue.

For instance, whenever 'feral youth' is the topic of the moment, the increased publicity of said issue can often encourage certain youngsters to 'act out' all the more, especially those in pursuit of their so-called 'fifteen minutes of fame'. Ditto for would-be 'terrorists' and the like.

Also remember all the hysteria over toilet rolls at the start of the pandemic, which eventually died down once the media frenzy had run its course and people eventually came to their senses and realised that actual shortages of such items were a load of old pony in the first place.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 18-01-23 at 09:46.

On Saturday Putin said he'd taken the salt mine town of Soledar.

Zelensky said Putin was lying. The media lapped it up and printed it: https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...085fda3e65dcf5

Today British Intelligence confirmed that Ukrainian soldiers have fled: https://consent.yahoo.com/v2/collect...c-b335903e991a

Misinformation at its finest.

The media has a problem they're all fighting for clicks for ad revenue to pay their bills. Clickbait was far more obvious, but what they're doing now is downright dangerous at times.

☪️️

sticky.jpg
    I like the "death is inevitable" quote top of the screen

On Saturday Putin said he'd taken the salt mine town of Soledar.

Zelensky said Putin was lying. The media lapped it up and printed it: https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...085fda3e65dcf5

Today British Intelligence confirmed that Ukrainian soldiers have fled: https://consent.yahoo.com/v2/collect...c-b335903e991a

Misinformation at its finest.

The media has a problem they're all fighting for clicks for ad revenue to pay their bills. Clickbait was far more obvious, but what they're doing now is downright dangerous at times.
    I think the rocket strike on Polish territory was a very dangerous one. Was it NATO who used it to attack Russia without even trying to determine who fired them? Then they simply blamed Russia anyway under the guise of "well it wouldn't have happened if you hadn't invaded in the first place" which has been used in the past for unjustifiable behaviour.

Ukraine used it for support although to their credit they did say straight away compensation should be paid if they had done it. They could have easily played it the lawyers way until they couldn't any longer.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information