Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working for the first time tonight. Really anxious.

Working for the first time tonight. Really anxious.

I’ve never worked before. I managed to get some shifts for Mother’s Day at a local factory (funky pigeon) tonight I’m there from 6-9. I’m freaking out, my social anxiety is in overdrive. Just feel awful.

Have all these thoughts in my head like what if I don’t know what to do. What if I’m scared to ask. What if I do something wrong. What if I need the toilet? Am I just allowed to go? When 9 hits do I have to wait till someone tells me I can leave. My brain literally thinks of every little thing and unless everything I have to do is explained in detail I’m lost.

Re: Working for the first time tonight. Really anxious.

That’ll be fun I think!
    When you start they will go over the basic rules with you & show you where everything is.
    Try to enjoy it, soak up a new experience and think about what you’ll spend your money on!

Scass is right! Plan yourself a really nice treat as a reward for being so brave.

It's your first day, people will be keen to help and nobody's going to mind you asking questions. Also, it's totally rational to be afraid. Everybody gets afraid before their first day at a new job.

Well I did it. Wasn’t bad at all, was a really quiet night so there was only 4 of us on the floor I was on. All I had to do was check cards then sort them into boxes and fold some. Was really simple and the people were really nice. It’s suppose to get busier next week so I’m a little worried about that but I’m sure it will be fine. The only thing that bothered me is my legs and back really hurt from standing the whole time and I’m suppose to be doing six hours Sunday!

Forgot to add, I did want to buy a new camera with my money. However my gran who I currently live with wasn’t keen on this idea and told me I should be saving it. I know it’s technically my money but she went off on a rant about how I shouldn’t be like the rest of the family and should actually save. She thinks it’s a bad idea if I use it all for a camera.

Honestly? I wouldn't use it all; I'd save most but then use some for a really nice treat. That said, you know your situation better than I do.

Well done!
    Do you have good comfy trainers to wear? Standing for long periods of time is tough on your back but you’ll probably get used to it.

Second day went alright. Third wasn’t as great though. Was very busy. Started getting pretty bad pain in my hands from the constant repeated action of flipping though cards. Was really trying my best but by the end of the night I was in agony. My hands, feet and back really hurt.

Everyone I was working with left half and hour early as well because they couldn’t be bothered and expected me to finish up. Ended up staying 10 minutes later than I should of. Then I find I can’t switch my brain off enough to sleep once I’m home so my anxiety started kicking in and now I’m running on 2 hours sleep and I’m pain and have 4 more nights of this. Trying so hard to push though to please everyone but it’s hard.

Can’t help but feel like I’m just moaning and should suck it up though.

You need to talk to management if you're being left to finish up alone; that's unfair.

What sort of distractions do you use to help yourself come down after a shift?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    You need to talk to management if you're being left to finish up alone; that's unfair.

What sort of distractions do you use to help yourself come down after a shift?
    Honestly I just went straight to bed after I got home as it was almost midnight. It’s like my brains in overdrive still though. I get this with a lot of things if I do them a lot like as soon as I close my eyes all I see is being back at work.

I tried counting but that didn’t really help. Wasn’t sure what else to do as I have trouble sleeping anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information