Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Worried I may have the corona virus

Re: Worried I may have the corona virus

In the context of the poster, their long and painful history of not listening to advice and asking for reassurance, one terminal illness after another for years and years and years.....I think nomorepanic gave a fine response.

Sorry I have to disagree. Whether the poster is a repetitive worrier who posts about anything and everything under the sun or not. Who cares?
    That is the very definition of health anxiety. Also many other anxieties. People with OCD could wash their hands 50 times a day to cope with their issues. So even if someone with HA posts 50 times a day each time about something different so what!
    Those issues are very real to them.
    I only come on here when my anxiety is bad. I don’t visit when it’s in check as I don’t feel the need to.
    This site is for support. No matter what your issues. And just because someone has EXTREME anxiety to the point where they may believe they have a different Illness everyday does not mean they should be subjected to your comments. Any of you!
    That is the very flaw of a lot of these anxieties. They are unrealistic. But who says how many of those anxieties someone can have?!!! You can’t put a number on it.
    I agree that you can help yourself by way of therapy or medication. But having these conditions in the first place is by no means a choice! Chemical imbalances and triggers from past life events cause them. And I don’t think anyone would openly choose to have these worries or feel this way from the onset. Unless you have severe health anxiety. No matter what other anxieties you have. You will not understand! And that’s what makes it harder for us!

If somebody has health anxiety and posts about two separate issues in the space of a month do they get called selfish? Do they get told to go away and stop talking rubbish?

But someone with the same illness may have it in a more severe form and therefore post about 10 different illnesses. And that deserves such responses does it?!

Also writing things similar to “you thought you had cancer so what happened to that?” I find extremely degrading. It almost comes across as if you are mocking!

This person may annoy you with their constant worries. But for those of you who have ocd. How many times do you wash your hands or use hundreds of baby wipes and annoy people by doing so?

Those of you with panic disorder...
    How many times have you had an attack and wanted to call an ambulance or called an ambulance even because you think your having a heart attack and annoyed someone by doing so?

We may have different forms of it. But don’t forget we all have it and each form comes with it’s own problems. Don’t judge just out of annoyance!

Plenty of people here suffer from severe health anxiety, including myself. I've done things I'm utterly ashamed of because of my HA.

However, I'm much better now. A forum is a community, though - a group of individuals who come together to offer mutual companionship and support.

I've never noticed Hypo post on anybody else's thread to try and help anybody else; indeed, his posts tend to refer exclusively to the conditions he thinks he has, rather than any anxiety disorder. Nothing anybody can do here helps at all.

As for Nic, I've always found her sig helpful and inspiring when I'm feeling low. There's a fine line between rampant anxiety and rampant self-pity, and as sufferers and community members we have a responsibility not to cross it.

If your HA is that bad it may be a bit hypocritical to be commenting on other people’s posts to reassure them and tell them they are fine you would think.

If you find that quote helpful then that’s your right. But myself personally don’t. It’s part of my health anxiety. Avoiding anything that says about death.

You're saying I'm a hypocrite for having insight into my own anxiety disorder?

Not at all!
    You said that the poster didn’t bother to reciprocate on other people’s posts. I’m just saying it would be hypocritical for them to do that if they are as you say posting all the time and not taking anyone’s advice.

People with health anxiety are not "misunderstood" on here...Challenging HA is not misunderstanding HA but not indulging HA behaviours when they are spiralling.

We all need to take responsibility for our mental health and that includes people with HA.

Quote Originally Posted by Stupefy333 View Post
    If your HA is that bad it may be a bit hypocritical to be commenting on other people’s posts to reassure them and tell them they are fine you would think.

If you find that quote helpful then that’s your right. But myself personally don’t. It’s part of my health anxiety. Avoiding anything that says about death.
    “Your HA” as in everyone. I didn’t mean you!
    I was referring to the poster we are talking about

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    People with health anxiety are not "misunderstood" on here...Challenging HA is not misunderstanding HA but not indulging HA behaviours when they are spiralling.

We all need to take responsibility for our mental health and that includes people with HA.
    There’s a difference between not indulging behaviours of HA and mocking people that have it. Sorry but calling people selfish is not helpful!!!

You could just not answer. That would be better than trying to make someone feel worse about a problem they have that clearly overtakes their life.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread Information