Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Losing it a little

Re: Losing it a little

Blue I have nothing in the way of advice to offer but wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you.

I too am finding myself getting closer to end of my tether and I know that it is pointless me worrying myself sick, but knowing and doing are two different things.

Thanks, Elen, that means a lot. I'm stuck in work with an ever-growing to-do list and the college IT network keeps dropping out on me.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Thanks, both. Sorry for slow response, but I was in bed and I wanted to wait until I was at the PC and could type properly.

@Terry - Unfortunately I'm at the bottom end of the delegation chain; I'm the lowest ranking person with the knowledge and permissions to help with the things people are panicking about. I can handle it, but my manager is in full-on freakout mode and constantly throwing new things at me. When I'm trying to wrangle my anxiety, I need to be very methodical in order to be productive. That said, I'm going to take breaks as and when I need them, and I'll be bringing my lavender oil to work until I'm working from home. I'm also going to take time for quick meditation sessions throughout the day. I'll be brave, and say no to my boss when I need to; she's paid a heck of a lot more than I am.

@Scass - You're always helpful, you silly thing! I should be able to work from home from either next Monday or the Monday after. Don't think my husband is hugely thrilled by the prospect of being stuck home with a panicked wife, but we do get on well and we're both quite open-minded when it comes to handling things like these.

Oddly enough, I just got offered some contract work yesterday; I'm taking it on because I'll be able to work to my own rules and the money beats what I'm making in the day job. It's work I enjoy when I have a measure of agency about how things are done.

In the meantime, I've ordered myself a kit today so I can start learning a new skill in my jewellery-making repertoire, so I have something to look forward to.

I can't claim I'm okay, but I really appreciate the support I receive here.

Very nice for you Blue Iris, it could very well be a very successful career in the making for you. Remember the old adage 'Out of chaos, comes order'.

I'm sure I read on another CV-related thread yesterday (either on here or on the Digital Spy forum, can't remember exactly) that many stores have been selling out of board games!! I find that quite reassuring in a way in the sense that it's likely to bring families together during these difficult times. What goes around comes around!!

Blue, I also cracked the last couple of days.
    It's nonstop talk about the virus and its very scary.
    But you feel some relief once working from home.
    At least we have the forum to vent and comfort each other.

More than the virus per se, I'm most worried about the economic ramifications of all this. The whole world econony is on the verge of coming to a juddering halt. What will happen to supply chains? What about unemployment, bankrupcies, mortgage foreclosures, etc. Will we all be facing rationing by the summer?

Oh, heck, the day I've had!

Sat there with the network down for 57 minutes out of every hour, with 3 left for emails to pour in from staff who've been ignoring every ounce of advice I've been giving them for years.

Shortly after 4pm my boss came in, complained about having been running around all day and gave me a bollocking for not being proactive enough. How, though? I was tied to the site I was at and the room I was in, desperately trying to send apologies out whenever the network flickered briefly up.

Whinge.

I've had a few panic attacks, but it's only when I read the media. If I stay away from tabloids I'm ok. A few tense moments for sure but just have to keep reminding yourself that for most folk it's a mild illness. I know some here have issues that would put them in the risk factors, and I completely understand the worry. Just isolate, and remain calm. My nan is in her 80's and she's still pushing her shopping trolly about. Mad lady, but got to love her courage.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Oh, heck, the day I've had!

Sat there with the network down for 57 minutes out of every hour, with 3 left for emails to pour in from staff who've been ignoring every ounce of advice I've been giving them for years.

Shortly after 4pm my boss came in, complained about having been running around all day and gave me a bollocking for not being proactive enough. How, though? I was tied to the site I was at and the room I was in, desperately trying to send apologies out whenever the network flickered briefly up.

Whinge.
    Sounds like complete hysteria (on everybody elses part not yours).

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

That sounds like a rubbish day. I hope tomorrow is better xx

Quote Originally Posted by Panicattacka View Post
    More than the virus per se, I'm most worried about the economic ramifications of all this. The whole world econony is on the verge of coming to a juddering halt. What will happen to supply chains? What about unemployment, bankrupcies, mortgage foreclosures, etc. Will we all be facing rationing by the summer?
    Yes, it is a cause for concern, but as it won't be caused by banks going to the wall this time round, things could pick up quickly again once the pandemic is over, as many will be fed up with being cooped up for ages by then.

Then again, I could be completely naïve and talking out of my backside for all I know!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information