Thread: Dizzy when getting up to fast. Promazine?

Dizzy when getting up to fast. Promazine?

I read one of the side effects of promazine is feeling dizzy when getting up fast. I notice this when I clean the bathroom. I'm usually on my hands and knees scrubbing all the lower levels. When I get up I have to stand for a moment, like when you get up too fast. Happened today while I was doing my OCD clean.

Other than that no issues. I can exercise fine. It's just when bending down for a period and getting back up.

I'm not insane. Everybody else is.

Re: Dizzy when getting up to fast. Promazine?

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I can exercise fine. It's just when bending down for a period and getting back up.
    Many meds have orthostatic/postural hypotension as a side-effect by slightly dropping BP. It is usually not significant in itself, but care is needed in potentially risky surroundings. Instead of getting up in one action break it down to two steps allowing a few seconds between each to give the heart a chance to increase blood flow and grab hold of something for support.

The opinions expressed above are based on my observations and, where applicable, interpretation of cited data and are general in nature. Consult your physician before acting on anything stated.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Many meds have orthostatic/postural hypotension as a side-effect by slightly dropping BP. It is usually not significant in itself, but care is needed in potentially risky surroundings. Instead of getting up in one action break it down to two steps allowing a few seconds between each to give the heart a chance to increase blood flow and grab hold of something for support.
    Thanks PDU. These bloody meds. I'm always off balance too. Not dizzy or anything like that. Another side effects it mentions as common. And the night sweats are pissing me off. But I can't do nothing because without the meds things go down hill.

Hope you're doing ok down in the land of Oz. and not having any issues with CV.

Thanks PDU. These bloody meds. I'm always off balance too. Not dizzy or anything like that. Another side effects it mentions as common. And the night sweats are pissing me off. But I can't do nothing because without the meds things go down hill.
    Yeah, almost all psych meds can be pains in posteriors. But not taking them is often worse.

Hope you're doing ok down in the land of Oz. and not having any issues with CV.
    Fortunately, not a problem, yet, as I'm in the high risk group. Tasmania only has 10 confirmed cases, just 1 from local transmission, and that number hasn't increased for several days. People coming from overseas or the mainland now have to self quarantine for 14 days with 6 months in prison for those who ignore the restriction. Tasmania was one of the few places that didn't record a single 'Spanish' flu death during the 1918/9 pandemic. Living at the arse end of the world sometimes has advantages.

The one in your signature
    No, nothing to do with me. Just something I came across which seemed to be a good summary of what to do.

The opinions expressed above are based on my observations and, where applicable, interpretation of cited data and are general in nature. Consult your physician before acting on anything stated.

Ah ok.

I'm on liquid promazine now. They can't get a hold of the tablets. I expected it to taste good ... tasted like I was drinking something other-worldy. Disgusting.

Something interesting I found while I was casually reading up on the liquid cosh.

Chlorpromazine and other antipsychotics with sedative properties such as promazine and thioridazine are among the most potent agents at α-adrenergic receptors. Furthermore, they are also among the most potent antipsychotics at histamineH1 receptors.
    And then elsewhere in a study

β1-Adrenergic receptors predominate in the heart and in the cerebral cortex, whereas β2-adrenergic receptors predominate in the lung and cerebellum
    That's why this drug can cause long term heart issues. Not freaking out or anything, just interesting to read. Certainly don't want to be on these long term. But, that's the trade you make for sanity I guess.

Seems HistamineH1 receptors are also present in the heart.

But, that's the trade you make for sanity I guess
    This is true for all medications, including otc ones such as aspirin and even many 'natural' supplements (for example, we'll never know how many died prematurely from taking beta-carotene supplements which were all the rage a few decades ago as cancer preventatives, but which actually accelerated the onset and growth of some tumours). It is a matter of evaluating the risks of not being on a med compared to the risks from taking it. In most cases not taking it is the much riskier option. Plus, often the biggest risk factor in taking a med is the drive to/from the pharmacy to get it. Those 'proverbial buses' lurk everywhere.

That's very true. It's a toss up over one or the other. This liquid stuff knocks me out.

Oh ... those buses are running once every 2 hours so thanks to the coronavirus I can reduce the risk of being hit by one.

Oh ... those buses are running once every 2 hours so thanks to the coronavirus I can reduce the risk of being hit by one.
    Silver linings...

Stay safe, stay indoors.

Thread Information