Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else strangely unconcerned about coronavirus?

Is anyone else strangely unconcerned about coronavirus?

Given the states I have worked myself into over the years about extremely rare diseases, I am surprised to see how unconcerned I am in this current very real and very serious situation. I am not in the least panicking despite all the constant hysteria and rising number of cases. I was just wondering if this was a common theme amongst other HA sufferers. An insight into how strangely our minds work per say.

Re: Is anyone else strangely unconcerned about coronavirus?

This is perfectly normal and my therapist explained it to me few years ago.

As hypochondriacs we have irrational fear of diseases, key word being irrational.
    As covid-19 is a real threat, you can't have irrational fear of it, so you are rational about it. Some people will still be afraid, especially if they are older, but that is understandable fear not HA.
    I suppose you are younger so you don't have to be afraid of coronavirus and you don't feel fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo84 View Post

As hypochondriacs we have irrational fear of diseases, key word being irrational.
    As covid-19 is a real threat, you can't have irrational fear of it, so you are rational about it. Some people will still be afraid, especially if they are older, but that is understandable fear not HA.
    I suppose you are younger so you don't have to be afraid of coronavirus and you don't feel fear.
    But you can have all the usual negative behaviours and thoughts within the spectrum of an anxiety disorder about it. That doesn't make your reaction rational. We can see this on the threads about it where people are displaying the same issues they have about other health worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo84 View Post

im petrified still dont fee;l well im going to take my temperature again... if your not afraid you should be because of the risk to vulnerable people and take adequate precautions

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixess View Post
    im petrified still dont fee;l well im going to take my temperature again... if your not afraid you should be because of the risk to vulnerable people and take adequate precautions
    There is a difference between natural levels of concern and fear. That doesn't mean we don't take precautions.

This is why I've said I'm concerned HAers on here will use this current crisis as a justification for a fear-based disorder. The anxiety disorder is still in their subconscious and still skewing them towards the same behaviours as any worry about the cancers they post about.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

What I find interesting to me is that I don't fear getting ill (and I'm high risk) as much as this is just messing up living! For crying out loud! You can't even find toilet paper!

I also find it interesting that since this has started, the rest of the forum, for all intents and purposes, has gone silent. This is real. Much of what is feared on the boards is not. So reality is an affirmation as a definitive treatment for HA. In the last couple of months, it's cured bowel cancer, lymphoma, ALS etc...

These are certainly interesting times to say the least....

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

I would be considered "moderate" risk with my underlying physical issues but I'm not worried about getting CV. As with many other people here, I'm far more concerned about loved ones than myself.

But as Terry points out that doesn't mean I act irresponsibly and put myself, and others, at risk by not taking sensible precautions.

Never Surrender, Comrade

I’m getting angry a lot, which probably isn’t that surprising. I’ve let rip at people who declare it “a load of sh*t” and hand wave it away. I also had a friend of mine saying that the Italians had nobody to blame but themselves due to poor practices etc. Because you know, we should all know how to deal with a global pandemic that takes over the planet in 3 months.

Scared? No. I will follow instructions, self isolate if I start displaying symptoms and be sensible with social distancing. I’m going to get back into my astronomy over the next few weeks and take some time out to make some new plans for the future.

No fear over here. I had a few panic situations but only when I read the media. I honestly stay away from it.

It was the same when I had Cancer. All my fear and anxiety went away. I'm sure there's a term for this. I think Fishmanpa has mentioned it before in another post too.

Self isolation is a bit strange for somebody with agoraphobia. You'd think it's just a normal thing for me to self isolate, but the house is now always occupant with my partner and child. I'm not used to him being home on school days and she usually works at the church in the daytime. I've been out for walks more since the CV outbreak than I have before.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information