Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else strangely unconcerned about coronavirus?

Re: Is anyone else strangely unconcerned about coronavirus?

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    No fear over here. I had a few panic situations but only when I read the media. I honestly stay away from it.

It was the same when I had Cancer. All my fear and anxiety went away. I'm sure there's a term for this. I think Fishmanpa has mentioned it before in another post too.

Self isolation is a bit strange for somebody with agoraphobia. You'd think it's just a normal thing for me to self isolate, but the house is now always occupant with my partner and child. I'm not used to him being home on school days and she usually works at the church in the daytime. I've been out for walks more since the CV outbreak than I have before.
    Same here. I've been walking our dog twice-daily for the past 2-3 weeks or so and today I have walked him 3 times.

A. Because I really care about him. B. Because I am trying to get fitter and more active myself, free of charge and in the fresh air. And of course, every little helps in the fight against this blasted virus.

As to whether I am unconcerned about CV, I most certainly am concerned, but more about the prospects of my parents catching it, as my dad is 71 (though reasonably fit and healthy with no obvious underlying health conditions), and my mom is in her late 60s, has had mild traces of asthma in the past, but now suffers from dementia and is therefore struggling to comprehend all of this CV stuff, but really indignant about not being able to go in shops, etc, which I am currently tasked with doing ATM. I'm not currently losing sleep over the thought of me catching the virus and constantly trying to follow the drill whenever I have to go into shops, etc by keeping as far apart from other customers as possible, and visiting the toilet to wash my hands (if the given shop has one intended for use by the general public, of course), and wiping down the outer packaging of all of the stuff I have purchased with anti-bacterial wipes once back home.

I don't know how I would have coped with all of this in the past (probably even ten years ago) as I have Asperger's Syndrome, and people like me are often disturbed by major changes to our existing routines but my dad told me over tea time today that he thinks I have successfully 'risen to the occasion' with all of this and have really been a godsend for the entire family. I don't in any way feel exploited either, despite my own personal issues.

I don't intend to be a smart alec and keep blowing my own trumpet but I am feeling really proud of myself so far.

You should feel proud, Lencoboy! Those are huge accomplishments that you’ve described and it’s wonderful you’ve been able to help your family through this.

Quote Originally Posted by glassgirlw View Post
    You should feel proud, Lencoboy! Those are huge accomplishments that you’ve described and it’s wonderful you’ve been able to help your family through this.
    Thank you for your kind words, glassgirlw.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I don't know how I would have coped with all of this in the past (probably even ten years ago) as I have Asperger's Syndrome, and people like me are often disturbed by major changes to our existing routines but my dad told me over tea time today that he thinks I have successfully 'risen to the occasion' with all of this and have really been a godsend for the entire family. I don't in any way feel exploited either, despite my own personal issues. I don't intend to be a smart alec and keep blowing my own trumpet but I am feeling really proud of myself so far.
    Well done Lencoboy. I have Aspergers too. You should be proud. Change in routine is horrible, and that's currently my issue. It's all off. Walking does help a lot and gets you fitter Are you a programmer by any chance?

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

I think you have coped remarkably well, Lencoboy and you have a very clear and rational approach to all this.

My son has Asperger's and is currently on a psych ward after a major change in his life. He couldn't care less about catching CV and the virus is already on the ward and his psychiatrist has it! My daughter is also on the spectrum and absolutely terrified to the point of not being able to function...

So I think your approach and attitude is spot on and yes, you should be proud of yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I think you have coped remarkably well, Lencoboy and you have a very clear and rational approach to all this.

My son has Asperger's and is currently on a psych ward after a major change in his life. He couldn't care less about catching CV and the virus is already on the ward and his psychiatrist has it! My daughter is also on the spectrum and absolutely terrified to the point of not being able to function...

So I think your approach and attitude is spot on and yes, you should be proud of yourself!
    Thanks for your comments, Pulisa.

Sadly it does seem that people on the spectrum are still being 'sentenced' to psych wards (and even prison in the most extreme cases), despite the much greater understanding of the condition nowadays, and even happened under the watch of New Labour, before all the 'austerity' stuff really started. It's almost as if the authorities may be pandering to long-standing prejudices of society in general where people who aren't quite 'normal' are put 'out of sight, out of mind', even when and where it is completely unwarranted, and of course it superficially seems like the quickest and easiest option. Such options are no doubt pursued by the 'less-well-trained'/'clued-up' and 'can't be bothered' medical professionals, social workers, etc. And don't even get me started on the fact that many still persist in using 'physical restraint' and sometimes even harsh punitive measures as first-resort action for dealing with meltdowns, etc! In fact they did exactly that back in the early 2000s at a county council-run day centre I attended for many years for seemingly trivial infractions like service users simply refusing to join their scheduled group activities and their being restrained on the floor by staff members to shock them into submission and the main staff member responsible stating that it was part of a 'zero tolerance' measure brought in by the govt against violence, aggression and abuse towards staff members, like in the NHS. It seemed as if some workers in the care profession had hidden agendas and were using said measures willy-nilly to their own personal advantages and disproportionately to the actual risks involved, thus trying to be on a power trip IMO. Thank god I am no longer at that particular centre anymore and am at another (independently-owned) centre one day per week where the staff actually seem to care about their users. Obviously I am not attending at the moment due to the CV risks, but more with my parents in mind despite said centre still being open as usual until further notice.

Sorry for digressing, but I felt as though I really needed to get that off my chest. Thanks all for being so understanding.

Yes, that's plenty to be proud of, Lencoboy, as others have said.

For me I'm not worried about this virus as a) an anxious person and not having HA themes only helps me here and b) I'm not a public panicker either. My anxiety lends itself to being put under stress so anything rushed can heighten it. I've had to learn to be mroe laid back about things and less trying to achieve too much which was something that pushed me into my breakdowns in a work environment where you were constantly firefighting.

I do have concerns though. I have elderly parents with breathing and blood pressure issues. I have Hypertension myself, something the Worldometer site is showing as the highest category in the deaths, but I'm still youngish. I'm also not scared of dying and my anxiety has always been more about being scared of living! But as things close down and pressure increases I will see the odd twinge, the odd increase in the intrusive thoughts that I long ago beat and just flash through now because they will try to start up if they can, etc. I'm also having one of my blip weeks this week I suspect so anxiety is a little higher than normal but it always passes and life just has to go on.

It is something that will hit home more as the cases increase. If we head into lockdowns then we are forced to deal with it and this means some more anxiety for me in some respects too because of the rush to be ready. Getting out more into the fresh air with some nice sun will help. Getting on with outdoor tasks will help.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    currently on a psych ward after a major change in his life. He couldn't care less about catching CV and the virus is already on the ward and his psychiatrist has it! My daughter is also on the spectrum and absolutely terrified to the point of not being able to function...
    Sorry to hear he's not doing well pulisa. Is he on the non functioning side of the spectrum? Hope you're doing well and keeping the spirits up.

Me and the wife had an argument earlier. Her friend wanted her to go shopping with her. In the same car. I was up in arms over it being in close contact with another person. I then argued with her friend calling her selfish for expecting that and putting my family at further risk. But, I calmed and it was just my over reacting brain. My son came in during the argument "Mom, remember James has aspergers I have a book here and it says they overly worry because of anxiety".

The kid is too smart. He reads books on aspergers to try and understand me. All problems resolved though in the end.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Sorry to hear he's not doing well pulisa. Is he on the non functioning side of the spectrum? Hope you're doing well and keeping the spirits up.

Me and the wife had an argument earlier. Her friend wanted her to go shopping with her. In the same car. I was up in arms over it being in close contact with another person. I then argued with her friend calling her selfish for expecting that and putting my family at further risk. But, I calmed and it was just my over reacting brain. My son came in during the argument "Mom, remember James has aspergers I have a book here and it says they overly worry because of anxiety".

The kid is too smart. He reads books on aspergers to try and understand me. All problems resolved though in the end.
    What a brilliant little guy! As he gets older he will just become more understanding and a credit to you (as he already is) because of how he will look at other people and not make assumptions, be judgemental, etc because he has grown up to be considerate to the needs to others.

That's little kids for you though. Sometimes you just need to obvious pointing out in a non confrontation way and they just do it naturally.

It's great he takes an interest in trying to understand you too and to help you all out.

One likely good thing to come out of all of this CV crisis is that it is exposing the fact that for several years now many people have been increasing wrapped up in their own bubbles and seemingly blase about the 'real' world. My account upthread concerning people with learning disabilities being unduly 'sectioned' or excluded from mainstream society (not just nowadays but pretty much ever since time immemorial) is just one of many issues that clearly demonstrates the sheer 'out-of-touch'-ness and indifference of many within our society. Climate change is another. It's no use constantly revelling in nostalgia and longing for the 'good old days' that in many cases never actually were. It's also no use moaning about the current situation with CV and accusing the authorities of violating our civil liberties, etc as we are all in the same boat together the world over.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information