Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agoraphobia

Unhappy Agoraphobia

I SENT SOME FORMS OFF TO TRY TO CLAIM DISABILITY BENIFITS FOR MY AGORAPHOBIA, BUT I'VE BEEN TURNED DOWN IT SAYS BECAUSE OF A REPORT FROM MY GP YET I HAVE BEEN GOING TO SEE A COUNSELLOR ON HER SAY SO FOR 12 SESSIONS, SO THEY KNOW ABOUT ME, AND ON THE FORM IT SAID YOU COULD APPLY IF YOU SUFFERED WITH AGORAPHOBIA, BUT I WASN'T SURPRISED ABOUT THE OUTCOME JUST MAKES ME WONDER HOW ALL THESE OTHER PEOPLE GET IT AND CAN GET ABOUT BETTER THAN ME, I CRIED WHEN I GOT THE LETTER IT'S NOT SO MUCH ABOUT THE MONEY IT'S THE BEING RECOGNISED, WITH AN ILLNESS THAT YOU CAN ONLY FEEL AND PEOPLE WHO DON'T HAVE IT DON'T KNOW THE HALF. IT SAYS I CAN APPEAL BUT THAT WILL BE A WASTE OF TIME, AND PAPER, SORRY FOR BANGING ON, JUST FEEL A BIT UPSET, AND HUBBY IS NOT THAT UNDERSTANDING WELL THEY DON'T KNOW DO THEY.

Re: Agoraphobia

hello, like you i tried claiming it - i was turned down on the basis that i hadnt paid enough national insurance BUT i did get income support instead...

would it be worth going back to your doctors and explaining you got turned down and asking for them to do another report???
    or maybe getting a report from your councillor???
    when i applied i had to be assessed by a doctor that was hired by the benefits people to make sure i was as bad as i said i was.. maybe you could enquire about that???

i'm not sure of your situation but i do reccomend that if there's any chance you could brave it and carry on working that you try your hardest because from my point of view once you're on benefits you seem to become a whole lot more comfortable and maybe have less need to get better...
    my benefits have just been taken off me and i dont feel like i constantly need to prove that i am unable to work and suddenly feel more free to take chances to get better - for example starting to go out on my own. whereas before i was so scared i'd feel a bit better then lose my benefits then get bad again... im really lucky in that a have an amazingly supportive partner who is also financially supportive...

whatever you decide to do i hope it all works out for you...

Hi.

If you have agoraphobia & this affects youre ability to work youre most definitely entitled to benefits.
    You have so many days to appeal the decision that should be youre first port of call. There are also some charity funded organizations you can get in touch with for advice, sorry i don't know off hand maybe someone else can post one. I'd also go back to youre doctor and like honeybee says ask for one of there doctors to examine you, infact i'd use that in an appeal.

Good luck.

hi sherlock
    i was turned down 3 times and every time i appealed against their decision, finally got it on the third one though, so dont give up,you are entitled to it so keep going, they think that people with mental health issues are to scared to appeal so you go for it no matter how many times it takes you to finally get it
    best of luck
    denise

I Have Just Been Awarded The Lower Rate For Agrophobia , And I Got It On A Ppeal , But They Made Me Have A Medical Which I Did Not Mind It Took Me 8 Months To Get Dla , Do Not Give Up Apeal And If That Dont Work Apeal Again ,

I tried and got turned down even after i appealed, but got middle rate on bath later as I am registered blind

Apart from being eligible for other benefits like Income Support ot Incapacity Benefit you should be applying for Disabiility Living Allowance too as you are most certainly entitled to it.

When you fill in the paperwork you really have to think how you feel on your worst days and write about that as that is what their decision will be based on. If you are turned down then do appeal as you really are entitled to benefits.

Sherlock - I applied for DLA as I too suffer from agoraphobia but can go out with my husband at times. I was awarded the lower rate of the "mobility" part of the allowance first time - sounds like I was one of the lucky ones! I also get Incapacity Benefit - do you get that?

Due to the physical health problems I also now have - I have just reapplied for the "caring" part of the allowance but have not heard yet. I have a very supportive husband as he suffered anxiety in the past so knows exactly how I feel - again I am one of the lucky ones!

You do have to fill in the forms as you would feel on your "worst" day. Do appeal and speak to your doctor about it.

Don't give up - I am sure you will get it in the end.

Best of luck

Janice xx

very good point Janice has made...when filling in the forms you really need to say what your worst day is...you may have a couple of good days but if you say you do then they wont (in my experience) even look at it...This applies to medicals if called in for one, you speak as if it is your worst day....Everyone of us would rather not be claiming and would love to be free of our emotional issues but while we have them, the extra money does help, even if its just to pay for a taxi(which can cost a lot) ALWAYS REAPPLY and good luck

This is something I need to do again after being turned down.

The forms can get complicated and your best bet is to get help filling it out, CAB can help you I think or at least point you in the direction of somebody that can.

There is someone near me who works for some sort of legal aid company that helps people fill in the claim forms and I'm hoping to go and see him soon but being agoraphobic and not being able to get there doesnt help

Good Luck and keep appealing as you should be getting what you are entitled too!!

x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information