Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quit alcohol after 5 years but what is my increased risk for breast cancer...?

Quit alcohol after 5 years but what is my increased risk for breast cancer...?

I'm 29 years old and have been drinking alcohol for 5 years. I decided to quit 2 weeks ago but I'm so scared now that I will get breast cancer soon because of my 5 years of drinking.. Anyone knows what my risk is?

Re: Quit alcohol after 5 years but what is my increased risk for breast cancer...?

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Quit alcohol after 5 years but what is my increased risk for breast cancer...?

We really can't answer that as there are hundreds of other factors to consider but well done on quitting.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Of course there are more risks that could cause breast cancer but would 5 years of alcohol mean definitely getting breast cancer because of the alcohol?

We still can't answer that - sorry.

I would say no but I am not a doctor so you need to ask them really.

Thanks for the answer.. I can't stop thinking about getting breast cancer soon because of my drinking.. Seems there's no point in staying off the wine then I guess..

Like alcoholic drinking or just normal alcohol drinking ?

Now this has just scared me. I'm currently freaking out about breast cancer.
    I'm 43 and have been drinking for about 20 years, on and off. Not alcoholic drinking or anything like that, just weekends but have also taken breaks for weeks or months at a time.
    Surely if casual drinking greatly increased the chances of breast cancer then a lot more women would have it?

A TON more women would have it. I would imagine a study like this would be more talking about severe alcoholic level drinking, mass consumption.

I had this same fear for a while, hence why I’ve seriously cut back on the amount of social/ casual drinking I did. Reducing the amount of alcohol one consumes is a fantastic choice for your health, and one that will really benefit you in the long run. I do agree with the previous comment though, it would have to be some serious consumption to really make you at risk. A friend of mine was diagnosed with cancer last year (but is now more or less cured), and he had never drank alcohol in his life. So I wouldn’t say it’s the be all and end all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information