Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New CV symptoms similar to bad cold - have we already had this virus in Jan and Feb?

Re: New CV symptoms similar to bad cold - have we already had this virus in Jan and

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Yes. I've said in other posts but skim back through my post history back to mid January and I was putting posts up about a crazy flu we had that was unlike no other. My partner honestly couldn't breath. She walked to the top shop, which is spitting distance and when she got back she had to sit on the outside steps to get her breath. She was genuinely struggling. Went around my family and friends. My friend had 2 rounds of antibiotics and it didn't touch it.
    Quite likely but scary stuff as no one knew what it was back then! Even Prince Charles symptoms are described as mild as he doesn't appear to have any underlying conditions. I'm amazed that he was actually out and about still fulfilling his royal obligations in the last ten days as CV in the UK has been gathering speed for weeks!

As I've said in another thread, your PM Boris has given contradictory advice to the nation, the most stupid was suggesting the 'herd immunity' then later demanding a lock down so imagine the confusion!

He's not alone, I read today the Australian PM threatening that some more services would be shut down if numbers of CV continue to rise ... well Hello PM Morrison, of course your country's CV cases will rise because you need to lock all of Australia down and just have essential services open ... I really wonder where these PM's (and their advisers) keep their brains!! And don't get me started on Trump, his populace will be sadly following the rest of Europe's model
    Last edited by WiseMonkey; 26-03-20 at 04:42.

Re: New CV symptoms similar to bad cold - have we already had this virus in Jan and

Quote Originally Posted by WiseMonkey View Post
    Quite likely but scary stuff as no one knew what it was back then! Even Prince Charles symptoms are described as mild as he doesn't appear to have any underlying conditions. I'm amazed that he was actually out and about still fulfilling his royal obligations in the last ten days as CV in the UK has been gathering speed for weeks! As I've said in another post, your PM Boris has given contradictory advice to the nation, the most stupid was suggesting the 'herd immunity' then later demanding a lock down so imagine the confusion!
    He's not alone, I heard the Australian PM threatening that some more services would be shut down if numbers of CV continued to rise ... well Hello PM Morrison, of course your country's CV cases will rise because you need to lock all of Australia down and just have essential services open ... I really wonder where these PM's (and their advisers) keep their brains!! And don't get me started on Trump, his populace will be sadly following the rest of Europe's model
    To be fair to BoJo it's the UK's chief scientific officer who raised the herd immunity issue. But yes there has been a lot of confusion caused by the government due to the ambiguity of their advice.

Also public services recommending we take exercise at parks as they removed their entry fees then a week later complaining when lots of people turn up.

We then have the supermarkets. We can't get certain items even now. They are telling people to start going back into the shops to cut down on online shopping because the elderly can't shop online due to the overwhelming demand. Friends of my dad were told it would 3 weeks to get their order to them. They are elderly, followed government advice and now are forced to go out to shop. We are having to go to more shops than we ever would to find items we just can't get, often without success.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    To be fair to BoJo it's the UK's chief scientific officer who raised the herd immunity issue. But yes there has been a lot of confusion caused by the government due to the ambiguity of their advice.

Also public services recommending we take exercise at parks as they removed their entry fees then a week later complaining when lots of people turn up.

We then have the supermarkets. We can't get certain items even now. They are telling people to start going back into the shops to cut down on online shopping because the elderly can't shop online due to the overwhelming demand. Friends of my dad were told it would 3 weeks to get their order to them. They are elderly, followed government advice and now are forced to go out to shop. We are having to go to more shops than we ever would to find items we just can't get, often without success.
    The UK's chief scientific officer needs a bullet and I assume he appeals to the Brexiters! You can't do that with a population of humans!! Then PM Boris changed his mind and ordered a lock down, and sadly by that stage in regards to CV the die was cast.

Terry I have family (cousins) in England and I feel for them. My cousins daughter is a theatre nurse and is risking her life every day to save people. By looking at the Italian and Spanish models I hold grave fears for the nation and for America and Australia (unless they act immediately, which won't happen)
    Last edited by WiseMonkey; 26-03-20 at 05:46.

I saw it as a discussion of a possible strategy rather than advice he gave, at least that's how his interview appeared. I've been wondering just how much this was really policy behind the scenes or whether it's the media being selective about how they represent what he said. He also talked about staggering the spread whilst keeping it away from vulnerable groups. As ever there are people on all sides playing politics with this.

It's going to be interesting to see how the Oxford study is received.

We will have to see how this lockdown goes. It's looking good in my area where people are staying in and the shops are now getting quiet. But we have problems like the tube in London which is just a massive Petri dish.

One nurse was complaining they had cut down the number of tube trains due to less people travelling which just put her more at risk as they were now crammed in again. It's just so all over the place...

I hope your family stay well. The risks must be so high for those working in hospitals right now. Part of the territory perhaps but nonetheless concerning when something like this happens.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 26-03-20 at 05:52.

Thanks Terry, luckily our PM has acted early and we have an enforced lock down. People can go out for a walk but have to keep 2 metres away from anyone who is not in their bubble. A bubble is made up of the people who are only in your home in lock down. So no visiting friends or neighbours. One person from your bubble can go to the supermarket but have to stay 2 meters away, there are markers on the floor and the checkouts have perspex shields to protect the attendants. Only a limited number of people can enter a supermarket at any time. There are guards on the door. Only 1 customer in a dairy at a time.

Police have teamed up with defense forces to patrol cities and check on anyone who is not going to an essential service. No one is allowed in parks or beaches unless you live close to them so no travelling by car to another area.

Buses are only running for people who are working in essential services (medical staff, pharmacies, supermarket and dairy workers). Dairies are similar to UK corner stores.

Every day the PM, the health minister and police commissioner all discuss what's happened over the last 24 hours so we all know whats going on. All political parties have pulled resources and are working together to try and quell this virus.

Take care and I hope things eventually improve with time x

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information