Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Urgent advice required

Re: Urgent advice required

I'm sorry, Pamplemousse. I do get what you're saying. It's a brutal world out there, though, and these same employers will often look for any excuse to get rid of a person, especially in precarious sectors like retail.

I have been with the company 9 years would they not find it hard to get rid of me?

Certainly not Phil - there are no loyalties nowadays.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    I have been with the company 9 years would they not find it hard to get rid of me?
    I was with my employer 28 years and in the stroke of a pen I was gone, "surplus to the needs of the business". So the answer is "no, they would not find it hard to get rid of you".

Phil, it’s a scary situation and I’m not sure I’d want to be in your position.
    Are your managers taking steps to ensure your health and safety? If not then I would certainly document it and speak to your bosses because they could be breaking the law.

You do have an choice- you can call in and advise that you are self isolating. I personally think that on this occasion you should do what you believe is best for you. So many employees are having to self isolate at the moment that employers should be used to it right now.

As to whether they could fire you, I don’t know. They would need a very good reason to just get rid of you without any warnings as it would need to be gross misconduct - unless you are on zero hours?

Take care of yourself.

What sort of store is it Phil - I thought it was a supermarket you worked for ?

I thought Phil worked in a mobile phone shop

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

It’s a bargain retailer we sell garden, paint, mirrors, bedding and a little food and pets. (Not supermarket)

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    Phil, it’s a scary situation and I’m not sure I’d want to be in your position.
    Are your managers taking steps to ensure your health and safety? If not then I would certainly document it and speak to your bosses because they could be breaking the law.

You do have an choice- you can call in and advise that you are self isolating. I personally think that on this occasion you should do what you believe is best for you. So many employees are having to self isolate at the moment that employers should be used to it right now.

As to whether they could fire you, I don’t know. They would need a very good reason to just get rid of you without any warnings as it would need to be gross misconduct - unless you are on zero hours?

Take care of yourself.
    Ok thanks

My area has about 40 cases and also Scotland is lower than the rest of uk so do I judge on that? Numbers may further.

I may take unpaid leave but if I do then my anxiety shifts to worry about paying for stuff. I feel trapped at the moment really course I would lol d to be at work but advice is changing Daily. Nicola Sturgeon says if firms even sell food if they can’t keep 2 m rule and work safety they should close. As I say people are getting close to me my work asked me why I never said to the customers who coughed on me but i said I never wanted to make a fuss?

The psychiatrist ever called back I guess they are too busy not ideal is it?

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information