Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've been told by NHS I could have it. I'm soooooo scared

I've been told by NHS I could have it. I'm soooooo scared

Hi all,
    I haven't had many symptoms with this but did have a slight headache for a few days and then yesterday suddenly realised I had no sense of smell or taste. I'd been googling the latest info and a few articles mentioned loss of sense of smell and taste could be an early symptom, or sometimes the only symptom. I've phoned NHS 111 and a Dr called me back in 30mins and said she knew about the sense of smell symptom. She told me to self isolate for 7 days. I have mild asthma. Even though I've read most people get mild symptoms especially where loss of sense of smell is the main symptom, I'm still sooooooooooo scared.
    I then frightened myself even more by cleaning the mouthpiece of my peak flow meter with a 70% wipe. I know now it was stupid. I then used it after it had dried for a couple of hours and freaked myself because I had a slight burning sensation on my lips and tongue. I immediately rinsed my mouth over and over and the sensation has gone but I'm so scared about that too now!
    Can anyone help?
    Nighttime Pacer

Re: I've been told by NHS I could have it. I'm soooooo scared

I’d be scared too, but it sounds like your symptoms are mild an will hopefully stay that way. Can someone get supplies to you & have you got enough medication?
    Don’t worry about your peak flow meter, I’m sure you did no damage.
    Keep us updated with how you are doing.

They are playing things overly cautious at the moment and telling people with likely normal colds to self isolate. So there is still the possibility it is not what you fear.

If your asthma is mild then you are in better shape than someone more severe. Most asthma sufferers are not I the latest at risk 1.5 million which is good news for us (mine has disappeared in recent years but was always mild but I often needed support during chest infections over the years).

We obviously remain higher risk due to having a respiratory condition but things are less ambiguous than they were weeks ago when they were lumping us all into one big group.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    They are playing things overly cautious at the moment and telling people with likely normal colds to self isolate. So there is still the possibility it is not what you fear.

If your asthma is mild then you are in better shape than someone more severe. Most asthma sufferers are not I the latest at risk 1.5 million which is good news for us (mine has disappeared in recent years but was always mild but I often needed support during chest infections over the years).

We obviously remain higher risk due to having a respiratory condition but things are less ambiguous than they were weeks ago when they were lumping us all into one big group.

Yes, things do look like they're starting to become a bit clearer now re CV, unlike still only just a couple of weeks back where all possible cold and flu symptoms were still being lumped into the CV group. Although there is still a great deal more work to be done learning and mitigation-wise, a lot more has now been learnt and measures put into place over the past few days, let alone weeks.

They told my partner over 111 she could have it. I freaked out. But, there's no evidence she had it as she wasn't tested. Until you've been tested I'd assume it's the flu/cold. Those are still going around like they normally do. My partner is over it now.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    They told my partner over 111 she could have it. I freaked out. But, there's no evidence she had it as she wasn't tested. Until you've been tested I'd assume it's the flu/cold. Those are still going around like they normally do. My partner is over it now.
    That latter is good news to hear

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    That latter is good news to hear
    My sister in law on the other had appears to have it. She still has symptoms and is short of breath getting up the stairs. Think she's had it for about 2 weeks now. My brother hasn't caught it and the kids seem haven't either. She's on the mend though according to my brother.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Well so far my symptoms haven't changed but I'm still really worried. I'm very tired and still no sense of smell or taste but otherwise ok. I keep checking my peak flow and so far it's really good. I'm hoping this symptom of loss of smell & taste other than a bit of tiredness is all I get.

Well for an update, nothing's changed so far but I'm really worried as I've read the odd case of people being fine for 6 days or so and it then suddenly getting much worse. I'm sooo scared at the moment and I keep checking my peak flow. So far it's ok. I think living alone is just so much worse at the moment as even though I talk to people on the phone there's no-one who can reassure me.

Yes it must be hard on your own but it sounds like you’re doing really well. Hopefully tomorrow will be even better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information