Thread: Yawning all day and can't seem to get enough air down

Yawning all day and can't seem to get enough air down

Hello I am very anxious at the moment and for a couple of days now I can't seem to get enough air and keep breathing in deeply every so often and constantly yawning,has anyone else had this please.Thank you

Re: Yawning all day and can't seem to get enough air down

Almost everybody with anxiety has this. Very common.

Constantly trying to take a deep breath actually makes it worse because you start going into hyperventilation. Try to ignore it, and breath through your nose.
    Last edited by ankietyjoe; 26-03-20 at 17:01.

I do apologise as I have just seen this old post that answers my question and thank you to the senior member @Fishmanpa for this great answer.

Common anxiety symptom...

Breathing/Shortness of breath

The hyperventilation as above plus your bronchial tubes dilate thus requiring more air than usual to fill the lungs so feels that it’s taking more effort to breathe – it is , you’re taking in more air at each breath.

What you feel:

You feel that your breathing is forced and laboured. You become conscious of how you are breathing and you have a hard time catching your breath. It seems like you have to force yourself to breathe, in fear that if you don’t, you’ll stop breathing and die. Or, for no apparent reason, you feel out of breath and find yourself doing an unusual amount of yawning in an attempt to catch your breath.

What causes this:

When stress biology changes the body, it quickens the breathing and respiration so that the individual is ready for immediate action. Unfortunately, this also means that the breathing becomes shallow in nature (unless we are physically exerting the body such as running, fighting, swimming, etc.) which results in the body not getting enough oxygen. That’s why we feel out of breath. This is a natural occurring biological outcome resulting from stress biology.
    Sometimes this symptom will be persistent from day to day, and other times it may appear for awhile, then disappear. Both are common. Once the nervous system calms down, you breathing will return to normal.
    Also, because breathing is an automatic bodily function, you’ll never have to worry about not breathing. Your body does it automatically. It may be shallow, but you’ll always get enough oxygen.
    Regular exercise helps to maintain regular breathing patterns.
    As with all symptoms, when the nervous system gets sufficient rest, this symptom will diminish and eventually subside.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquilega View Post
    Hello I am very anxious at the moment and for a couple of days now I can't seem to get enough air and keep breathing in deeply every so often and constantly yawning,has anyone else had this please.Thank you
    Hi Aquilega. Please don't take this the wrong way. By posting this question, what are you looking to achieve? If 10 people say they get it too, is that going to alter anything for you? Because you'll still be getting the symptoms.

You need to stop looking for reassurance. Change your mindset. By worrying about things like this, you are wasting your precious life. Yes, it may be something serious (but it's probably not) - either way, don't waste the time you have left.
    Author, How to Beat Health Anxiety - "Absolutely the best book I have ever read on health anxiety. It was obvious that the author struggled with this in his own life and has overcome it. That's what gives hope to others who are going through this. Read this book if you are suffering! It will help you!" - Amazon Reviewer

Thread Information